Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:36 am

Agreed, it's becoming a bit of a crap shoot. Like...."Shoot, this is apiece of crap!"
:lol: Exactly.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Here's the result of one very hard season with the motor clamped to the transom without any protective plate. I'm over-drilling the mounting holes and will repair the gouges when I fill them.

I used a center punch to mark the bolt locations and then a centering guide to drill the holes but it appears that i still managed to get them off center, unless the lines i drew were off center. Either is as likely.

We've booked a 1-2 month road trip to the south in the spring so my glued lapstrake build is on hold while I get this boat sorted out for that trip. Its usable as-is but there are a bunch of small things to fix or upgrade that came to light in Virginia. Mounting the motor properly has been top of the list since I launched it but fishing kept getting in the way.
Attachments
20211020_192145.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

8O

A couple of questions. What’s the big hole? A scupper? And curious how your graphite has held up and if you would do it again?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 pm 8O

A couple of questions. What’s the big hole? A scupper? And curious how your graphite has held up and if you would do it again?
Yes, it's a scupper. I put one in the center to drain the space between the stringers where they are tall. I have a sole running bow to stern, no bilge, so the scuppers are key.

Graphite looks perfect, I'd not only do it again but will probably redo my driftboat bottom the same.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Ooof! That's pretty chowdered up.

You think a lot if that is vibration from trailering or no? Did you use a transom saver?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:32 pm Ooof! That's pretty chowdered up.

You think a lot if that is vibration from trailering or no? Did you use a transom saver?
The motor has some "teeth" that bite the transom, by design, and much of the damage is from those, and from raising the motor with a jack to adjust the plate location: those teeth raked the transom. I may use a sacrificial layer when I remount.

I dont use a transom saver because I trailer with the motor all the way down. You're not gonna be able to do that with your keel dragging the pavement in your quest to keep your hubs dry.

Edit: I'd love to keep my hubs dry but it's not in the cards for me, more on that later.....

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Even a layer of 1/4" laminated to the hull would act as the sacrificial layer. Doesn't even have to be marine ply. Maybe just a piece of underlayment or luan. Scrape it off when it's time to replace. :doh:

Use is hard on boats for sure, and our build method probably results in a more fragile hull than most production boats. Would you agree?

Plenty of time to get ready for the Keys!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 am Even a layer of 1/4" laminated to the hull would act as the sacrificial layer. Doesn't even have to be marine ply. Maybe just a piece of underlayment or luan. Scrape it off when it's time to replace. :doh:
You nailed it! Just made that piece this morning actually out of some scrap Okume(if there is such a thing). I'll probably seal the edges and call it good.
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 am Use is hard on boats for sure, and our build method probably results in a more fragile hull than most production boats. Would you agree?
Definitely agree, esp the fairing compound as we're discussing in another thread.

My boat went into service probably a little prematurely because I didn't want to lose a season and no regrets there, but it def could have used a few more coats of paint on the deck, I should have added the outboard mounting plate and got the motor mounted correctly the first time to avoid the disaster that is now my transom, should have put a few more coats of varnish on the bright work, should have adjusted the fit of at least one of the hatch covers, etc. But none of those things would have turned the wife into a redfish-on-the-fly-obsessed maniac like actually using the boat in Virginia did, so absolutely no regrets, I did everything exactly right!
Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 am Plenty of time to get ready for the Keys!
Yes........if I use it wisely! The Keys are out, btw, barring a major change. Going to Homosassa and Yankeetown in FL, Brunswick GA, Charleston SC and a few more spots on our way back up, very likely Chesapeake again towards the end of the trip(late april). The cost of RV parks in the keys was just more than we can stomach. $$$$$

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:54 am Charleston SC
Look up Beaufort SC. I've got parking, ramp access and bad company directly across from the point of Paris Island for a couple of nights if you'd like to do some inshore that isn't fully populated. Reds, trout and flounder are the big ones I get. And we have a spare room if you can stand the company (I'm the problem not the wife... or the dog... or any other thing that might be crawling around down here).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:54 am Charleston SC
Look up Beaufort SC. I've got parking, ramp access and bad company directly across from the point of Paris Island for a couple of nights if you'd like to do some inshore that isn't fully populated. Reds, trout and flounder are the big ones I get. And we have a spare room if you can stand the company (I'm the problem not the wife... or the dog... or any other thing that might be crawling around down here).
Ok, absolutely interested in wearing out that invitation! We won't need the spare room as we're bringing a bedroom etc with us but parking, boat ramp and some bad company sound IDEAL! Will probably be in that area 2nd-3rd full week of April, I'll give you fair warning when we have a tighter itinerary. I already have your address thanks to Fuzz's loose lips, :lol: , and from the googles it looks like you are indeed in a very fishy looking area!