C17 in New Zealand.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 in New Zealand.

Post by piperdown »

Not completely sure on tolerance but I made sure my jig was level and that the boat was "square" by measuring corner to corner. I was probably off by 2mm and couldn't really tweak it anymore that that without causing the fairness to swing out of shape.

Of course my GF16 is built different from how other of JM's boats are put together, so hopefully others will jump in and definitively answer your question. :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I glued the stringers together today. Some of the parts were cut rough and wider than needed so I screwed them together and gave them a buzz with the power planer. To get them more even. Neat tool. I wouldn't buy one; borrowed this from school, flattened them very fast.

I was using WEST with fast hardener while I'm waiting for the new order to arrive. Using 50ml (2oz) batches it took eight batches to prime and glue two 3.5m stringers. Had to move fast even with such small batches.

Spot the layout mistake!
Attachments
F37F8609-C8F0-4D7A-8A25-8B63A456E747.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Caught it before gluing though. Just as well.
21DD701E-A1C3-40DE-B181-43E661D88555.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Well those that have been following my questions threads will know that I had some ‘challenges’ gluing the stringers. I have cut some more. Being completely unable to rip parallel lines I cut a little oversized and then screwed them to my strong back. I went over once with a circular saw and then a power planer. This is the current state of affairs. This edge will be against the hull. Are they straight enough or do I keep at them? They are within 1/8” 3mm of straight.
Attachments
9E1CB21F-8A9E-4D54-98A5-011D91C1D905.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If I can’t get these right I’ll borrow the schools table saw but that is more effort.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The glory of the stitch and glue is you need the general shape more than accurate shape. You will just use thickened epoxy to fill the gaps. That stuff will be harder and stronger than the plywood.

Build on!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Cheers. I actually went out and got a flush cut bit for my router. I will flush cut the edges facing the hull against a factory sheet of plywood. My concern isn't so much putting the stringers in later, its avoiding hook or rocker when I plank up the hull on the jig. I figure the flush cut bit will come in handy for other things as well.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Amazing the difference a suitable tool makes. I took off a bit more than I should have but I can build it up when I do the inside.
Attachments
2FBA7879-9C74-4FDC-9095-E84292974350.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

A guy can not have everything but having both the right tool and a good quality tool sure makes a difference.

mohrscott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mohrscott »

Piper down; a few of us have these underway. I didn’t fuss over close tolerances too much and mine worked out fine. I did double check constantly to make sure the over all shape stayed true and level. You can fill a lot of gaps with resin mix. It will be fun to watch you progress!
Crabby Scott building CrabbyPatti.