Handheld GPS

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Handheld GPS

Post by Reid »

Hey everyone,

I am looking into getting a handheld GPS/chartplotter for the FS18 when it is finished. The Garmin GPS units seem to pop up on a lot of those websites that review the "Best for 2020", but then I read some of the reviews on the new Garmins and they are not that stellar. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a handheld GPS/chartplotter.
Thanks in advance!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Handheld GPS

Post by cape man »

I will never buy another Garmin. Their maps are proprietary and Florida takes 3 different maps (if I remember they were $300 a pop). Go with one that uses Navionics and comes preloaded.

My $0.02...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

cape man wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm I will never buy another Garmin. Their maps are proprietary and Florida takes 3 different maps (if I remember they were $300 a pop). Go with one that uses Navionics and comes preloaded.

My $0.02...
Thanks Capeman! That was one of the negative reviews that came up a couple of times.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I bought a handheld GPS a few years back that was a $500.00 unit that was half off. Very hard to use and the screen is to small for me to see without glasses. Way to hard to use and I may have used it a few times. I bought it because it was waterproof and had a camera but just to hard to use.

I have had 3 Garmin GPS that I have used in my vehicles. I like to one I have now that I can talk to it and it tells me the directions. My 2nd ex was British so it talks to me in a British accent and when I miss a turn it seems to get upset at me from the tone of the voice. It has lifetime updates and traffic alerts that works very good here in Houston. Let's me know that traffic suck miles ahead if I tell it where I am going other wise it waits till traffic comes to a stand still and lets me know that I am in traffic. Reminds me a lot of my ex! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?
No stupid. They bought active captain.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

I actually just saw a commercial for Navionics and it is a Garmin company.
- Steven Wright

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm
Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?
No stupid. They bought active captain.
Reid wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am I actually just saw a commercial for Navionics and it is a Garmin company.
Dang it! The wife is right! I’m wrong even AFTER looking into the facts.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Perhaps things have changed, but the price of their maps sent me to Hummingbird when the old Garmin gave out. I was just at Bass Pro today, and all the hand held units in the hunting area were Garmin?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Reid,
Why not just use your IPhone in a waterproof case?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146