Handheld GPS

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Handheld GPS

Post by fishgitr »

Reid, I agree with AA. Use your iPhone. Put a mount for it on your grab handle or wherever you want to mount it. I have the navionics app and it works great even offshore.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

In aviation, Garmin are king!

In my boat I have 4 x Humminbirds! :D

cape man

Post by cape man »

The cell won't work on Cape Sable to Everglades City if you have Verizon. AT&T has fairly good coverage there, so I switched to Verizon 8) 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You guys are probably a bit more up to date on the electronics than me but downside of using your phone is, I believe, battery life, but check me on that. My Garmin runs on a couple of AA's so you can replace them. I don't think that's a common phone feature. Also, my Garmin floats, so, I kinda doubt that's a feature of any phone.
Tony

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

cape man wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:07 pm The cell won't work on Cape Sable to Everglades City if you have Verizon. AT&T has fairly good coverage there, so I switched to Verizon 8) 8)
The chart plotter app will continue to work with your Android device's gps.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

This old dog just learned something new.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Again, to be a bit obvious, a gps unit will not be relying on cell coverage.
Tony

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ouch! :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 am Again, to be a bit obvious, a gps unit will not be relying on cell coverage.
To be clear on this, cell phones use triangulation of cell, WiFi and low accuracy GPS chips to affix location. Your playing with fire if you get into a low water zone with hard obstacles and have no cell service. Heck, my Garmin watch is much more accurate than my cell (by about 12’) even when I have good coverage. And that’s true of both major OS types.

Its a hardware problem so those that prefer droid have a better chance of finding a high quality GPS chip but you will pay for it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.