Page 1 of 1

Handheld GPS

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 pm
by Reid
Hey everyone,

I am looking into getting a handheld GPS/chartplotter for the FS18 when it is finished. The Garmin GPS units seem to pop up on a lot of those websites that review the "Best for 2020", but then I read some of the reviews on the new Garmins and they are not that stellar. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a handheld GPS/chartplotter.
Thanks in advance!
-Reid

Re: Handheld GPS

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm
by cape man
I will never buy another Garmin. Their maps are proprietary and Florida takes 3 different maps (if I remember they were $300 a pop). Go with one that uses Navionics and comes preloaded.

My $0.02...

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:46 pm
by Reid
cape man wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm I will never buy another Garmin. Their maps are proprietary and Florida takes 3 different maps (if I remember they were $300 a pop). Go with one that uses Navionics and comes preloaded.

My $0.02...
Thanks Capeman! That was one of the negative reviews that came up a couple of times.

-Reid

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm
by Jaysen
Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:45 pm
by OrangeQuest
I bought a handheld GPS a few years back that was a $500.00 unit that was half off. Very hard to use and the screen is to small for me to see without glasses. Way to hard to use and I may have used it a few times. I bought it because it was waterproof and had a camera but just to hard to use.

I have had 3 Garmin GPS that I have used in my vehicles. I like to one I have now that I can talk to it and it tells me the directions. My 2nd ex was British so it talks to me in a British accent and when I miss a turn it seems to get upset at me from the tone of the voice. It has lifetime updates and traffic alerts that works very good here in Houston. Let's me know that traffic suck miles ahead if I tell it where I am going other wise it waits till traffic comes to a stand still and lets me know that I am in traffic. Reminds me a lot of my ex! :D

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm
by Jaysen
Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?
No stupid. They bought active captain.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am
by Reid
I actually just saw a commercial for Navionics and it is a Garmin company.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 am
by Jaysen
Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 pm
Jaysen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm Didn’t Garmin buy navionics?
No stupid. They bought active captain.
Reid wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am I actually just saw a commercial for Navionics and it is a Garmin company.
Dang it! The wife is right! I’m wrong even AFTER looking into the facts.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm
by cape man
Perhaps things have changed, but the price of their maps sent me to Hummingbird when the old Garmin gave out. I was just at Bass Pro today, and all the hand held units in the hunting area were Garmin?

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:56 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Reid,
Why not just use your IPhone in a waterproof case?

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 pm
by fishgitr
Reid, I agree with AA. Use your iPhone. Put a mount for it on your grab handle or wherever you want to mount it. I have the navionics app and it works great even offshore.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:57 pm
by BarraMan
In aviation, Garmin are king!

In my boat I have 4 x Humminbirds! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:07 pm
by cape man
The cell won't work on Cape Sable to Everglades City if you have Verizon. AT&T has fairly good coverage there, so I switched to Verizon 8) 8)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:19 pm
by terrulian
You guys are probably a bit more up to date on the electronics than me but downside of using your phone is, I believe, battery life, but check me on that. My Garmin runs on a couple of AA's so you can replace them. I don't think that's a common phone feature. Also, my Garmin floats, so, I kinda doubt that's a feature of any phone.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:20 am
by Aripeka Angler
cape man wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:07 pm The cell won't work on Cape Sable to Everglades City if you have Verizon. AT&T has fairly good coverage there, so I switched to Verizon 8) 8)
The chart plotter app will continue to work with your Android device's gps.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:55 am
by cape man
This old dog just learned something new.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 am
by terrulian
Again, to be a bit obvious, a gps unit will not be relying on cell coverage.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:07 pm
by cape man
Ouch! :lol:

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:17 pm
by Jaysen
terrulian wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 am Again, to be a bit obvious, a gps unit will not be relying on cell coverage.
To be clear on this, cell phones use triangulation of cell, WiFi and low accuracy GPS chips to affix location. Your playing with fire if you get into a low water zone with hard obstacles and have no cell service. Heck, my Garmin watch is much more accurate than my cell (by about 12’) even when I have good coverage. And that’s true of both major OS types.

Its a hardware problem so those that prefer droid have a better chance of finding a high quality GPS chip but you will pay for it.