Skoota without upper structure

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Skoota without upper structure

Post by Bartman »

Richard (or anyone else),

Can the Skoota 20 or 24 be built without an upper structure? I'm looking (actually looking for my brother) for an open boat similar to: http://derickreynolds.co.uk/modelB.htm I was on an email exchange with Derick back in 20172018 and he was retiring and no longer building or selling plans. Two things can a skoota 20 or 24 be modified by the builder to delete the upper structure and can the beam be narrowed to 8.5 ft? Intended for in-shore boating in reasonable conditions.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skoota without upper structure

Post by Jeff »

Bartman, See auto-reply from Richards email:

"Thank you for your email. I apologise if there is a delay replying to it. I am currently sailing to the Bahamas on a relief-supply mission to help with the rebuilding after Hurricane Dorian. I will try to answer your email as soon as I can but wi-fi is almost certainly going to be limited. "Normal" service will resume on my return on January 25th. Thank you for your patience." Richard

Jeff

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bartman »

Thanks

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The answer is YES!

The Skoota 24 cabin is integral, so you need the base and structure in the base for integrity(aka benches), but there is nothing that requires a roof. The Skoota 24 is really a great boat and rumor has that it might be able to be done with a two engine setup. If I ever build another boat, it will either be the Skoota 24 or the LB 26. The Big factor will be how high the captain's eyes are above the sea.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

I have now returned from the Abacos. You can read my reports on my Facebook page and blog here http://woodsdesigns.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... w=magazine

I have know Derick since 1982 as he started Palamos Boatbuild building my production designs. The photos of his boat were taken in front of my house. Its a planing boat whereas I have designed semi displacement boats with smaller engines and lower speeds.

Yes, as Dan says you can build and open deck Skoota 20 and a aft cockpit Skoota 24. But the cabin adds strength to the bridgedeck so if building those versions you will need to build the central cabin/cockpit in foam sandwich as plywood isn't stiff enough unless supported by the cabin structure.

If you build a narrow beam version then you can use twin outboards as the boat will not fold. But not more than twin 20hp because of the weight.

Does that helps? Maybe best to email me direct with your specific requirements on woodsdesigns@gmail.com

Richard Woods