1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I like the sound of that. I will do some searching around on the forum here to do some research on application and tips and tricks. Any guesstimate on how much I should order to cover just the bottom?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

A pound will do it and then some. Sift it through a tea strainer or screen, and add epoxy till smooth. You can add the resin first and then the hardener. Mix it really well before adding the hardener and then mix it some more. First time I used it I had clumps. About 25% by volume.

It is not bulletproof, but easy to repair scratches later.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Like Capeman said it is a good way to go but do not think it is bullet proof. Best part is if needed it is easy to repair.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have got the boat flipped back over and on dollys in the driveway. I did some much needed clean up in the shop and I am going to try and get it back in there tomorrow night to start getting the bottom ready.

I have read through some threads on the graphite coating and I have seen where some people sand in between coats and I saw where someone recommended wet on wet and to wait 30 minutes to an hour between coats. Will you get good results either way? I would prefer to be able to knock it all out at once and then sand once after all coats are applied. Also can I apply this directly to the bottom of the boat without the barrier coating? I was thinking after putting 3-5 layers of epoxy and graphite that that would seal the boat fine, then I would barrier coat the rest of the hull before paint

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would say sand the bottom with 40/60 grit to give the epoxy/graphite a tooth to hold to. Then go ahead and do coat on coat as soon as the last coat is tacky to the touch. Probably no more than an hour depending on temp. Wet sand after the last coat, maybe allow it a day to cure.

I am not sure what you are referring to as a barrier coat. Is this a primer over the fiberglass or something else?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The epoxy is a barrier coat. Several coats of epoxy and there is no need to add something else.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

The barrier coat I’m referring to is a two part epoxy coating to seal the boat where I sanded through the old damaged gel coat and repaired blisters. I bought interprotect 2000e to do this when I was planning on going a different route with the bottom. I’m hoping to be able to get the graphite coating on this week. Still have some spots to work on on the hull bottom before I can apply

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you need to sand the epoxy/graphite, do it wet.

Those that have tried dry sanding share that it makes a huge mess and they wouldn't do that again! :lol:
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was so pissed off by dry sanding that I swore I’d never sand it again. Ever. Not even wet. Nothing that sees the bottom of my boat should complain. Fish don’t care. People know I bite.

I barely sand it for repairs. Graphite is going to be ugly if it is doing it’s job.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

If that’s the case I will try to roll it on as smooth as I can and if it’s halfway decent I will let it ride. As long as it functions properly I’m not worried about it being pretty