1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 pm Gotcha. I have been trying to find a reasonably priced transom drilling jig to make sure I drill the holes exactly 90 degrees to the transom but I’m having trouble finding one. I’m pretty confident I could mark them and drill them pretty dang close. But being that I already have another boat to start on after this one and I’m sure these won’t be my last I’m sure the jig would get a few uses.
I just waited until I got the jackplate. Then made a template and use the plate for a drill guide.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have been finishing up small things here and there and I’m hoping to have my floor glued and glassed in this weekend. Any tips on this step? I’m guessing I will just mix up big batches of thickened epoxy and spread it on top of the stringers and then either screw my pieces down and remove the screws after it sets or come up with a bunch of stuff to put on top to weigh it down. I was planning on putting it in the boat in sections and after it sets make sure everything is fair and then glass over it.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

One of my big concerns is being able to get that much thickened epoxy spread out and the floor pieces in before it starts setting up

cape man

Post by cape man »

I borrowed a jig from a marine mechanic. If you can access a drill press you can also make one out of wood. Use weights to hold the deck down. Buckets of water work great, but I'm sure if you're like most of us you have plenty of heavy items laying around. No need to put unneeded holes in one of the most vulnerable part of the boat for water to get in. It's no more epoxy than filets or taping the stringers. Big step! Almost there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The main thing when setting floors is to not put a ton of force on them and then retract it. So, no standing on them. I drew a line on the hull with a sharpie to make sure I got them down onto the glue enough, but then used weights. After cure, I noticed my sole/bh glue joints were not all that pretty. I also noticed it is nearly impossible to create a watertight top seam on 5/8" thick bulkheads. Use a hawk and lay the thickened resin out thin. Then apply it with a 6" wide trowel 6" per pass. It will go plenty fast at a half a foot at a time. My largest batch of epoxy I have ever thickened and laid is about 18 ounces. That is a lot of mix. Make sure the sole and bh is clean of dusts.

If you keep the resin thin on a board, it may start to kick on you, but it won't be so bad you don't get bonding. But don't you have pieces? Start at the bow and work back. You cannot walk on them.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

The floor is in fellas. I was able to get a buddy over to give me a hand this morning and it went pretty smooth. A little messy but overall I am happy and confident with how it went in. I am going to leave it be until tomorrow and then get the weight out and start making sure everything is level and ready for glass. I am going to be using 1700 as I have with the rest of it. I was thinking 3 layers of glass and the same for tabbing to the hull sides? Not sure if I should try to do the floor all at once or half at the time. I thought about doing three layers the length of the boat on one side starting with a long piece that extends over half way of the boat and working back with shorter pieces. Then I would sand that transition after it cured and do the same on the other side. I was thinking that way I could walk on either side of the boat to work. How do yall normally go about it?

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Looking good man! Congrats, thats a major milestone. I am just getting going over here and it's definitely going to be a long slow process. You been cobia fishing yet this year? Not that I know but that plan sounds good. I would think that a similar approach as when you laid up the whole inside of the hull would work accept possibly a few small adjustments to account for the finishing/painting of the floor. Keep it up, cant wait to see her all grayed out.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I kinda think one layer of 1708 best. But you can two layer the 1700. Two tapes of 1208or 1708 or 1700 staggered is enough.

If you aren't stiff enough, you won't make it tons stiffer with lotsa top glass.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Definitely excited to have the floor in but no fishing for me until the boat is done. The floor feels rock solid I just wasn’t sure how much glass I needed on top for protection. I’ll go with the 2 layers of 1700.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Two layers of 1700 is honestly quite a lot. You might be better off with a single layer; sand it good, then fair it with filler and paint. The sole on my boat is triaxial, about 22 oz depending on the roll. Over low density foam.