covering (Tyvek?) for temporary shelter

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

covering (Tyvek?) for temporary shelter

Post by BrianC »

I'll be starting a GV15 build soon but first need to prepare the space. The boat will be built in the open area under the house which is on stilts spaced roughly on 9' centers. I'd like to build some temporary walls using something like Tyvek but I though I'd ask here first to see if there is something better.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: covering (Tyvek?) for temporary shelter

Post by Jaysen »

Air works for a lot of people.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Should work great but I’m not sure if it would allow much sunlight to filter through?
There are all kinds of heavy duty clear visqueen that might also be an option.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tyvek is loud as hell and crackles in a breeze. Might work done tight.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:13 am Tyvek is loud as hell and crackles in a breeze. Might work done tight.
That is what I was worried about. I used the 'air' option when I built my SK14 and sometimes had to wait several days for the wind to die down low enough to lay down fiberglass. Average wind speed is about 8.5 MPH in the spring. Putting down fillets and tape isn't too bad in the wind, but cloth is difficult. Also, I had to do all the mixing of epoxy with thixo stuff inside after having one batch nearly blow away!
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Tyvek will break down faster due to UV light. Expensive proposition to have to replace after a few months of exposure.
Get one of those inexpensive carports with canvas like sides at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-1 ... 0%3D%0D%0A
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Can't you just buy groundsheet tarpulians? Those are cheap as. Get some 2 by 4s to fasten them to. My outside tunnel house works well, but leaks in rain.