SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

I’ve got all 6 above-sole frames tacked into place. I followed the approach used by Silentneko and cape man (and probably others) and made holes in the first frame and slots in the others. Since I wanted the rod holders on each side to span 3 frames, I installed the first frame (with holes) and then used a laser level to position the slots in the other two frames:

They still need the final fillets and biax tape but all the slots line up nicely.

Next up is the live well+helm seat combo. I wanted to curve the back corners to match the 6" radius of the live well inserts I created using a 12" diameter concrete form. Again the forum came through with the required information. Here is the result dry fit to test the layout:

SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Brian looks pretty good guy. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Anyone have a favorite barrel-down hinge for a fore deck hatch? I did a search and got zero hits.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really well done!!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Another milestone: all above-sole frames are taped in, sanded, and ready for priming. Adding an extra ~4” to the shear allows for some really wide side decks (~12.5”) while not sacrificing any interior space as the hull has so much flair. The seat/live well combo is placed but not attached as there is quite a bit to do before it is taped to the sole. I still need to pick up some more plywood for the decks and the console.

Another issue is the angle of the rub rails. The GV15 design has a ~32° to the sides. This will make adding rub rails a problem since most commercially available ones are designed to be mounted on a (nearly) vertical surface. What have others done in this situation?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BrianC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:50 pm Another issue is the angle of the rub rails. The GV15 design has a ~32° to the sides. This will make adding rub rails a problem since most commercially available ones are designed to be mounted on a (nearly) vertical surface. What have others done in this situation?
"This will make adding rub rails a problem since most commercially available ones are designed to be mounted on a (nearly) vertical surface. "

I would first fact-check that carefully, I'm skeptical that's a big issue, but I could certainly be wrong. If you do indeed need to get it vertical, like i did, here's how I did it:

I made wedges(maybe 160 total?) and glued them all the way around. A little tedious but it's easy and effective. Starting at the stern, I measured the angle with an angle finder, cut 2 wedges at that angle and set them on the deck, and proceeded to the bow, then repeated on the other side. If you think your sides are symmetrical then you could just measure on one side and make wedges for both sides at once at that spot. I applied epoxy to each wedge and stapled it to the side to hold it in place while the epoxy cured. That gave me a relatively flat, vertical surface to glue my bright rubrail to.

I didnt take great photos but this at least shows what the wedges look like. They are just sitting on the deck in the o
Photo, staged at their install location. I numbered them all just in case. Hope this makes sense!
20211020_144124.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Spring is here so I'm back at it. Got the inwales cut and glued in:

A couple of questions for folks:

First, the plans call for decks cut from 3/8” ply — what about the splices? What have others done?

Second, the plans call for 1/2" backing plates for deck hardware — how large should these be? For example, if I'm drilling a 1.5" hole for a rod holder, is an extra 1.5" (so a 4.5" round backing plate) enough? Also, should I use a thicker backing plate for the trolling motor mount?

Lastly, for 1.5”x0.75” inwales, the plans say to “tab inwale to frames with 4” wide, 9 oz. FG tape.” — so just a small 1.5" tall by 4" wide piece of cloth applied on the vertical inside seam filled with a 1/2" radius epoxy putty fillet (see pic)?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BrianC wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:17 am Spring is here so I'm back at it. Got the inwales cut and glued in:

A couple of questions for folks:

First, the plans call for decks cut from 3/8” ply — what about the splices? What have others done? Add a 3/4" x 2" on the frame where the decks are meeting for a good overlap.

Second, the plans call for 1/2" backing plates for deck hardware — how large should these be? For example, if I'm drilling a 1.5" hole for a rod holder, is an extra 1.5" (so a 4.5" round backing plate) enough? Also, should I use a thicker backing plate for the trolling motor mount? Use a backing plate 3 times the size the length and width of the screw pattern. A trolling motor backing plate should be 3/4 and double the size of the mount.

Lastly, for 1.5”x0.75” inwales, the plans say to “tab inwale to frames with 4” wide, 9 oz. FG tape.” — so just a small 1.5" tall by 4" wide piece of cloth applied on the vertical inside seam filled with a 1/2" radius epoxy putty fillet (see pic)? Sounds good.

Well, I hope those make sense. Maybe Will, who has built one of these boats will chime in.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

If the inwales are filleted and tabbed as neatly as the frame has been to the hull, you will be just fine. There is also an opportunity to fillet and tab the top of the inwale to the bottom of the deck, which will add considerable strength.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

After gluing and tabbing the inwales, its been “cleats-R-us” for the last few days; I think I’m done cleatifying under the side and forward casting decks. The red rectangles are the future locations of three hatches:

Here is a detail view showing the frames + cleats for the side decks. The solid red is where I’ll tape the underside of the side decks as many here have reccommended. The dashed red line is the location of the splice between the casting and side decks; I could move the splice back one frame if folks think that is a better location for it: