SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, great progress!!!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

It was howling today so I added another tarp to block some of the wind then got the main layer of cloth on the hull. Adding the tarp and doing a quick once over with the RO sander to knock off any rough spots took a few hours so the glassing didn’t get started until about noon and finished a bit after 7. It amounted to about 11 lbs. of glass cloth and well over 1.5 gallons of epoxy. This is my first time using 12 oz. biaxial cloth - it certainly is a bit more work to get it just so than the 6 oz. woven cloth I used when building the SK14. Also glad to report, I didn't get stuck, although I did go through quite a few sets for gloves!

Tomorrow I’ll added the extra cloth on the sides. Once that is done, the hull will be fully covered in glass cloth. Good thing because we have wind and rain in the forecast starting Sunday and going for four days.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks nice and you must feel good. Sounds like an awfully long day for my old bones though. I'd be doing the alcohol and ibuprofen cocktail for sure :D

Dougster

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Glad you did not get stuck to the hull :lol: Your glass work looks dang good :wink:

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Yesterday was indeed a long day Dougster. Its not something I want to repeat too often. And yes Fuzz, I was pleased with yesterday’s effort. After getting cleaned up, I took a dose of vitamin I plus a nice stiff scotch on the rock.

Change of plans for today. I’m not happy with the ‘wobble’ along the rear third of the shear line - this photo was taken looking forward from the transom along the shear line:

I don’t want to lock in the wobble by glassing the sides so I’ll first add rub rails which should straighten things out. I’m also adding spray rails along the back half of the hull which should remove any remaining wobble.

I did coat all exposed surfaces with neat epoxy to protect the wood from getting wet.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

We’ve had a stretch of bad (for boat building) weather so I’ve spend the time planning next steps. The consensus seems to be to sharpen chines & transom, build up any reverse chines, and attach spray rails and/or keels before applying any fairing. With that in mind, I’ve drawn out the parts I’ll need:
The upper left drawing is the cross section of bow-end chine wedges that will attach to the bottom at the chine running back about a third of the way from the bow. The angles are selected to provide a slightly down sloping reverse chine whose outside edge matches the hull's sides. These will create reverse chines in along the forward part of the hull - the part most likely to throw out spray when crossing boat wakes or hitting swell along the backside of the inlet.

The upper right is the keel that will start ~18” from the transom extending forward along the flat portion of the hull bottom.

The lower drawing is the spray rails which will be mounting on the sides parallel to and ~2-3” above the level of the sole. The will start 4-6" forward of the transom and extend forward for about eight feet.

This photo is marked up to show the approximate placement of these parts:

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Over the past few days I finished adding the light biax cloth to the sides. Its good to get that done - no more big sheets of fiberglass cloth to do until after the flip. Lots of fairing and sanding and fairing and sanding before then.

I saved the scraps leftover from cutting the side panels so that I could use them to mark out spray rail strips that (hopefully) won’t have to be tortured into place.

I also attached support arms to the four molds that should help when attaching the spray rail strip to the hull.

We have a couple of rainy days coming up so it will be a while before the next steps: attaching the spray rails, bow-end reverse chines, and keel. There is also chine and transom sharpening that needs to be done before fairing can begin.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Hey now..................doing the rub rail that way is cheating :lol:
I thought it was written you had to use 50 clamps and get a pint of glue on yourself when installing them. Your way is going to be too easy :wink:

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I had to take some time away from boat building to get the garden going. It is all prepped, tomatoes and a few other transplants are in, and the first batch of beans is planted.

First up was to trim the white oak skeg that I had previously shaped and covered in 12 oz. biax tape.

Here is that skeg glued to the hull with a thick epoxy+cabosil+wood flour paste. I’ll be adding a full fillet along each side after it fully sets. I also plan to add a nose-piece to blend in the bow end with the hull.

I also attached the first of three rub rail layers on the starboard side. I used just about all my small clamps so I’ll be doing one side at a time.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Looking good but I thought the skeg was supposed to go width size up? I don't have the plans so I don't really know but other skegs I've seen are on the narrow side of the board the it goes up a couple of inches.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain