SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

They used to be in my personal gallery under the “Gallery” tab of my “ User Control Panel” page. The subalbum heading (GV15) is still there but all the photos are gone. I have been using Image with the image number to link them into my posts.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BrianC wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 pm They used to be in my personal gallery under the “Gallery” tab of my “ User Control Panel” page. The subalbum heading (GV15) is still there but all the photos are gone. I have been using Image with the image number to link them into my posts.
You photos are all there. I fixed the underlying issue that was preventing display. You should have all your thread images back...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Its been a while since I've posted progress. All the stringers and frames are in and fully glassed. I flipped the hull again so I can paint since it will likely be too heavy to flip once the rest of the inside is done. Here are some post-flip and post-graphite pictures:
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work BrianC!!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I’ve applied graphite epoxy to the bottom and have painted the rest of the hull. I’m awaiting some 3M 5200 so I can install the bow and transom ‘U’-bolts; then it is (the final) flip time. Here are some glamour shots:

I glued fiberglass tubes into overdrilled-refilled-redrilled holes for my four drains: standard bilge drain (normally plugged), live/baitwell drain, and two (hopefully) self-bailing scupper drains that will get plumbed to the back corners of the sole:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good!! I love the color.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

The tube of 3M 5200 arrived and I installed the transom ‘U’-bolts. After waiting 24 hours I did the flip:

All the interior glassing was done before the previous flip but I didn’t post any picture so here they are:

Next up, I need to make some decisions on the console and helm seating so I can finalize the chase tubes, fuel tank location, and live well plumbing.

I’ll be building this GV15 as a center console (the plans include a 20”x30” console) and so I’m modifying the layout shown in the plans to something like this:
The aqua vertical lines align with the seats in the side console version shown in the plans.

The 19 gallon built-in tank will be in lower part of the console with a solid wall between the tank and the helm electronics. The live well is going into the aft portion of seat assembly that looks something like this (live well would go behind the seat where the hatch is in this photo):

I still need to decide on a helm seat. I'm waffling between a leaning post-style cushion (like the above) and a fold-down bench seat.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Looks great.

That's a BRILLIANT idea to use PVC over the straps to protect your paint job. I'm totally stealing that idea when I flip my GV-13!
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Boat looks great and I am glad the flip came off without a hitch.
Just a little heads up from an old crane operator/rigging trainer. Running a strap from eye to eye and then lifting in the middle put about 10 times the boat weight of stress on the rigging and eyes. And those eyes are not made for a side ways pull. Not trying to be a butthead just a little warning. :wink: