SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by BrianC »

A couple questions for the team:

The plans don’t seem to call for any cloth on the inside of the transom, just two layer outside plus several layers of tape on the seams both inside and out. Did I miss something or should I just go ahead with a layer of 12 oz. bias?

I’m ready for the inside cloth and just realized that I can’t do both the port and starboard sides at once like I did On the SK14. Are there any tricks or is it just do one side then wait until I can sit/walk on that side before glassing the other side?

Thanks
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Very nice and clean work. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I’d glass both sides of the transom and wrap the top regardless of what the plan says or omitted. Just me, I’m 100% into overkill.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Here are today's pictures, before and after taping:

All ready for adding the 12 oz. cloth tomorrow. On the SK14 I was able to add both the port and starboard cloth pieces one right after the other since I could just reach in from the sides when applying the epoxy. Thats not going to be possible on the GV15, its just to wide to reach all the way to the centerline from the sides. Looks like I'll just do one side and then wait for it to set up before adding the other side.

Here is the transom as it is now, all taped but no cloth:

As suggested, I'll add a layer of 12 oz. biax.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Got the inside glass cut and weighted. First side is all epoxied — 93 oz. of epoxy on 88 oz. of cloth. Pictures from today:

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Very nice!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I feel I've reached something of a milestone. I’ve finished the inside fiberglass and the next step is to place the stringers and frames but I need to make those layout decisions that determine the placement of the under-sole chase tubes.

I’ve posted some question in the technical help sub-forum to help with the below-sole chase tube locations — https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65294

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Congratulations on your milestone! :D

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Oh well, looks like I lost all my photos in the forum upgrade. :help:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Are they in your phpBB gallery?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.