SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Coming along nicely. Glass work on the inside and the whole thing looks great!

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:25 pm Boat looks great and I am glad the flip came off without a hitch.
Just a little heads up from an old crane operator/rigging trainer. Running a strap from eye to eye and then lifting in the middle put about 10 times the boat weight of stress on the rigging and eyes. And those eyes are not made for a side ways pull. Not trying to be a butthead just a little warning. :wink:
Yeah, thanks for the heads up, it was slipping sideways a bit at the 90° point :help:. The hull is only about 250 lbs. at this point — I'd not chance doing it this way again on anything heavier. The yellow strap that was wrapped around the white PVC section was anchored in the bilge drain tube (you can see it coming out the drain and wrapping around a small section of PVC) so that did take some of the load off of the strap going between 'U'-bolts. Again, I'll find another way on my next, larger, hull.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I’m using a 19 gallon Moeller plastic fuel tank that will be installed in a well under the center console:

The bottom of the well has a flat plate to support the tank; the holes are for pouring in 2-part foam and will be sealed with a layer of 6 oz. cloth:

Here is a shot of the underside of the plate — a shout out to VT_Jeff from whom I stole the idea to bevel the underside of the plate:

Not yet shown is a drain that will carry any fluids getting into the fuel tank well to the small bilge area in the rear half of the boat (hopefully, there won't be any :help: ).

I still need to come up with a way to hold the tank in place. I’ve posted a question to the technical questions section asking how others have held their plastic tanks in place. I want to stay away from any plain steel or plastic hardware, and friction-style buckles.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

That is a beautiful GV15, I must admit that mine turned out pretty good and receives a lot of compliments. It is perfect for the weather and inland waters in our part of the world. I have a centre console and seating arrangement as per the plans, and this boat has plenty, plenty space. Well done on a great build.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

DAVE LUDICK wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:00 am That is a beautiful GV15, I must admit that mine turned out pretty good and receives a lot of compliments. It is perfect for the weather and inland waters in our part of the world. I have a centre console and seating arrangement as per the plans, and this boat has plenty, plenty space. Well done on a great build.
Thanks, building is slow right now with the cold weather. I'm working inside my shed on the live well and planning the details of the center console. I'm going back and forth on seat height — its either ~23" so I can sit with my feet flat on the floor or bump it up to 30" plus some sort of foot rest so my legs aren't dangling when seated.

My only concern about the build is the orientation of the spray rails. Unfortunately, by the time it was pointed out that I should orient them parallel to the shear line, I'd already glued them on parallel to the waterline. We'll see how they do — I suppose the worst case is I'll have to do a spray-rail-ectomy at some point!

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

All the straight sections of the chase tubes are installed. The frames are quite short so there is no way to get 3” of ply around all the tubes so I went with fiberglass tubes that will get glued in place with epoxy glue. Only the 3” for the wiring harness is PVC:

I couldn’t find a bait well that I liked so I used silentneko’s method to make a set of curved panels that will be set into a plywood frame. First, I covered the center part of a 12” concrete tube form with heavy duty packing tape. I started off with a layer of 6 oz. cloth figuring that that would give me the best surface on the inside. Next up was a layer of 9 oz. biax, followed by an extra layer of scrap 12 oz. biax strips in the center and along the edges. Here it is still on the 12” diameter concrete form tube with one side all trimmed; the second side will get trimmed to fit when I build it into the plywood frame:

I used my beater Japanese pull saw to trim one side and to cut the tube into two halves:

Here are the finished parts:

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I just received a "happy new year" email from the Flexisander folks -- it included a 20% discount coupon good on all of their products, valid until Jan 31st. I'm not going to be using it so I thought I'd pass it along -- I'm pretty sure it is single use so the first one to message me gets it!

Flexisander sanding boards

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Have you used any of their products and if so how did you like them?

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:53 am Have you used any of their products and if so how did you like them?
I've used them for this build -- both a filling board (22") and a sanding board (33"). I only used the filling board a couple of times and wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't had a bigger build planed for the future (PG25C). I used the sanding board lots! It really makes it easier to get a nice, fair, surface on those long almost-flat surfaces (easier, not easy!). Its almost impossible to find and fix shallow imperfections with a more easily deformed sanding block like the Dura-Block. I did also use a 30" Dura-Block but only for smaller areas like the chines and spray rails. The Flexisander has hook fastener on the 4.5" wide sanding surface but adhesive-backed sanding tape works fine if you blow it off good before putting it on. I work outside so dust isn't much of an issue -- if I was building indoors I'd get the one with a dust pickup. fallguy1000 uses these on his Skoota build:
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am I have a 21" a 33" trowels and a 37" sander I think. We also use 12 and 14" concrete trowels. Regular sheetrock trowels work poorly with our mixes. They are a bit too stiff. If you loosen them up; they get too hard on cure.
When I bought these last spring, the prices direct from the manufacturer were way better than prices in the US, even with shipping which added about 30% to the cost. Here are the two that I got:

33" sanding board
22" filling board

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Use the 21" and the big longboard a lot. The massive fill is best for round hulls. I avoid it ftmp.

The longboard is nice, but the abranet mesh wears out too fast per $. I like using festool papers; it takes 10-11 sheets at 50 cents each. But they last lonfer than the mesh.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495