SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by pee wee »

If there's a way to include painting the sides of the cockpit before the side decks go on it will make that step easier; obviously you can't paint where you're planning to tape. After the side decks go on it's an awkward job. The boat is looking good, you're making fine progress. Thanks for posting and including pictures!
Hank

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Today was rainy so no epoxy but I did get all the holes drilled for the bungees hold downs:

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:35 pm There is also an opportunity to fillet and tab the top of the inwale to the bottom of the deck, which will add considerable strength.
Thanks, I’ve added this to the plan.
pee wee wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:17 am If there's a way to include painting the sides of the cockpit before the side decks go on it will make that step easier….
Good idea, As you suggest, I’ll leave the upper part unpainted so there isn’t an issue with tapping the deck-to-hull seam.

Next up, swim platform installation. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66072
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Careful with those deep cutouts into frames. There must be enough material next to the hull side or you make a hinge point to concentrate stress. I'd seriously reinforce some of those cutouts if running through chop is ever going to be a thing this boat does.

Basically in terms of maths a reduction of 20% in thickness loses 51% of stiffness. It's a cubic relationship for the mathematically inclined.

Moreover since your frames are triangular in shape and there's a cutout in the thinnest part, essentially all of the side force will concentrate here. Worse case you will get cracking. This has happened before.

viewtopic.php?t=63093

You could consult the designer for advice, but as a guideline I'd leave at least 3" onto the hull everywhere. If you go below this then double up the thickness for each 20% cutout.