SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Looking good! That epoxy glue is really strong stuff but it's nice to have a bit extra just in case.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I don’t have a space where I can safely unroll and measure the 50” wide fiberglass biax cloth (just too windy outside) so I cut a piece of string to the length of fiberglass cloth desired and used that to measure the cloth as I rolled it off the supply bolt.
I placed the string on the edge of the cloth and rolled it in as I rolled the cloth onto a batten. By keeping the string taut, the length of the cloth should match the length of the string:

Here is all the cloth and tape for laminating the outside of the hull. I weighed the tape, and, from the expected widths used, calculated the weights of the cloth panels - I'll wait to trim the cloth to the desired width once I roll it out on the hull.

I sanded the seams for the last time and marked the hull at 2”, 4” & 6”(where need) from the seams to guide tape and fabric placement.

I’m planning on a three day lamination-fest: Day 1 taping, Day 2 bottom panels, Day 3 side panels (not called for in plans; using lighter 9 oz. biax. cloth). I'm using a slow cure no-blush hardener so I should get a good chemical bond between each day's work. Friday and Saturday have forecast highs in the low to mid 60’s so I’ll do the tape on Thursday (high about 85°F) so I can do the bigger parts on cooler days.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

That sounds like a good plan.
I also like the idea of putting the 9oz on the sides. Lot's of designs don't have it (per engineering it's not needed) but it's nice to have for abrasion resistance and a bit more stiffness in the design. That's not a knock on the designers at all, just a reality that people have a tendency to push their boats and get into areas where an extra layer provides a bit of protection.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Hey Brian,

It's been WAY TOO long since I've posted, but I saw your thread and it brought back amazing memories for me! (wegcagle's GV15). This is the point that I REALLY wished that I had double checked the flatness of my planing area (8 ft forward of the stern). I ended up having some cupping from the stern forward that was about 1/4"-1/2" at the worst. It cost me tons of hours to remove, refiberglass, etc.

I would recommend running a flat edge of about 8ft long across the planing area on both sides of your now before you fiberglass. That way any cupping can be removed!

Looking fantastic, and you are doing a WAY cleaner job of building her than I did.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

piperdown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:42 pm That sounds like a good plan.
I also like the idea of putting the 9oz on the sides. Lot's of designs don't have it (per engineering it's not needed) but it's nice to have for abrasion resistance and a bit more stiffness in the design. That's not a knock on the designers at all, just a reality that people have a tendency to push their boats and get into areas where an extra layer provides a bit of protection.
Eric, My thoughts exactly. This design calls for just 1/4" ply on the bottom and sides so adding a layer of 9 oz. biax all the way to the shear seemed like a good idea. - Brian
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

wegcagle wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm ...This is the point that I REALLY wished that I had double checked the flatness of my planing area (8 ft forward of the stern). I ended up having some cupping from the stern forward that was about 1/4"-1/2" at the worst. It cost me tons of hours to remove, refiberglass, etc.

I would recommend running a flat edge of about 8ft long across the planing area on both sides of your now before you fiberglass. That way any cupping can be removed!
Will, Yours was one of the builds I read over many times. After seeing the problems others have had with cupping or hook of the planning surface (your's included), I've been paying particular attention to this issue. To keep the keel line flat and horizontal, I made a few adjustments to the keel seam when stitching and added bit of 'traction' near the bow. - Brian

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Today, I got all the tape down on the outside of the hull. Not counting the epoxy used to give the plywood a light pre-coat, I managed a 45% glass content.

Tomorrow I’ll try to lay down cloth on the bottom of the hull. This will require about twice the epoxy as the tape but should go quicker since it is just two pieces. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

NO, NO do not get stuck to it! You will lose some skin and a bunch of hair :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great nprogress!!!! Jeff