Mattkab's GV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mattkab's GV13

Post by mattkab »

Day 55

Superbowl sunday morning was allocated to the boat. I got a good few hours of sanding and fairing done on the stern seat and integrated cooler. Then I turned my attention to the custom fishing insert in the mid-seat. I'm just a hobbyist, so I would love any feedback or guidance if anyone has done similar. At the same time, this is my 3rd BBC build, so I know just enough about this process to be dangerous :D

I started by measuring the size of the tackle boxes that I bought, and added 1/2" to the width, and 1/4" to the height for each drawer/rail:

Then, using some scrap pieces of trim cut to size as spacers, I hot-glued the drawer/rails in place:

I added more trim pieces to the back, cut to set the width to the width of the tackle box +1/2". I later ended up adding a piece to the bottom front to keep the structure square:

Test fit on the work table to see if everything fits:

Then did a test fit inside the bench, to see if I could get them in and out easily (and I could):

Back on the worktable, I added more rails, oriented the other way, to hold salmon-fishing flashers and dodgers above a larger opening to hold spools of fishing line. After finishing and thinking about it, I realized I will likely drip water from the dodgers onto the fishing line, which could ruin it over time, so I'll cut a piece of thin ply and put a "roof" on the bottom section:

Finally a test fit of the dodger/flasher rails in the boat:

The cabinet is only hot-glued at this point, which was really useful as I was adjusting sizes during the assembly. The plan for now is to glue it together by creating epoxy fillets along all the seams, putty filling any gaps, and then brushing on a coat of epoxy over everything. Finally I'll give it a coat of paint before permanently epoxy-gluing it in place in the bench seat.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Matt!!! Jeff

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 56, 57, 58

I've only been able to work on the boat one day every week or two, just from our normal schedule. I just want to keep progressing slowly. Past few days have been focused on custom storage in the benches.

Starting in the aft, the integrated cooler is complete. I may do one last coat of fairing, but it's in pretty decent shape now. The storage hatches on both sides are constructed. I won't do much fairing here, and will probably just do a couple coats of paint.

The fishing bench (helm seat) is constructed, and just needs to be faired (it's in a locker, so it'll just be workboat finish) and painted now:

Here's a detail of the fishing storage unit after being epoxy glued, coated in neat epoxy, and a round of fairing. I later rounded the edge of the rail to make it easier to get the cases in and out:

And test-fit in the bench. The port side has a shelf made from some scrap 1/4" ply, and I'm gluing on a lip:

Moving forward, the console bench has a battery storage compartment, and will also have electrical components -- fuse block, master power switch, etc.

I've just started the bow storage compartment now. There's a shelf for a gas tank, but I want to build separate compartments for the heater unit and anchor and wet-storage.

It was mentioned by a friend of mine that I've been texting these pictures to that I haven't taken any overview pictures for a while, so here's the current state of the project. Bench seats were just laid in place -- they will be glassed in last, after the internals are painted, just for easier access.

From directly aft:

Starboard aft quarter:

And one view with all the seat tops removed:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress Matt!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

What is going to keep those tackle containers from shifting out of their slots with motion?

Nice progress, it's great to be able to customize your build like that.
Hank

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

pee wee wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:14 am What is going to keep those tackle containers from shifting out of their slots with motion?
It's a good question. The containers shouldn't have enough room to slide all the way out if the hatch stays closed. But if it becomes a problem I've also considered gluing some of that anti-slip matting for drawers on the bottom of the cases, a bungie on a hook, or even a mesh bag that snaps/bungies to hold things like pliers and towels.

So, short answer is 'I don't know yet'. :D
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It sure is nice to be able to add those kind of custom features to your boat. That is one of the best things about building a boat yourself.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 59 & 60

I'm in the customization phase of the build, and I needed to check some of the ergonomics... my daughter is about half my weight, so since the boat is still on a makeshift trailer, she got to be the "crash test dummy":

Once I was happy with how things dry-fit, tonight I glued and glassed everything up. Started by cutting 4oz tape to length for all the edges:

And then mixed up some epoxy to fillet and seam. This makes construction of the interior compartments essentially complete. I'll do a quick sand and light fairing, and then a couple coats of paint before I seal up the tops:

Also, to remember one of the primary reasons I'm building this boat (year-round fishing in Puget Sound), I made up some pink-salmon hoochie rigs. This year is a pink-salmon year (with an estimated run of 3.5million fish), so I'm hoping to be in the water by fall to try and catch a few:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Always good to get some help from the kido's.
If you are trolling pinks and silvers both will hit Brads Cut baits pretty good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Jeff