Mattkab's GV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mattkab's GV13

Post by mattkab »

Days 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Glassing the outside of the frames and inside of the hull. I added this extra layer of glass to help with abrasion resistance and a bit more strength. I'm still debating what motor to put on it -- I have a 15hp 2 stroke sitting in the garage, but I'm tempted to up it to the new 25hp Yamaha at 125 lbs!

Laying out the glass:

Also adding gass in the foredeck locker:

Glassing:

Laying out the glass for the frames:

All glassed in:

I also had my wife video (at 2x speed) how I've been glassing the vertical areas of the boat. By no means am I a professional, but this is the technique I've started to zero in on. We're here to learn and share, so feel free to comment :
[youtube]https://youtu.be/CbwjLm0OQ6I[/youtube]
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

For large flat areas I like to use the 4 inch mini rollers. They will make it faster and help smooth things at the same time. Also after you have part of it wet out use a plastic spreader to move excess epoxy to dry spots and that will pull things down tight at the same time.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:14 pm For large flat areas I like to use the 4 inch mini rollers. They will make it faster and help smooth things at the same time. Also after you have part of it wet out use a plastic spreader to move excess epoxy to dry spots and that will pull things down tight at the same time.
I use, and like, the mini rollers -- you can see one in the pic where I'm glassing the topsides.

I've found that the plastic spreaders move the cloth around too much, creating bubbles. Is there a technique to it?
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The spreader has to be smooth to keep it from grabbing the glass. They take a little to get the feel for it. It is easier to learn on flat surfaces than vertical ones. Either way the mini rollers will do a good job of pushing the excess resin out of the cloth. Work top to bottom and let gravity help spread the resin for you. After it is dry you should be able to feel the texture of the glass. If not you are using too much resin.
I see the roller now. I like the short nap ones for resins and the foam ones for paint.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 46, 47, 48

Up to this point in the build it's been a pretty straightforward GV-13, but now some of the customizations will start to happen.

On the construction side, right now I'm now working on the seats:

Coated the tops with a layer of 4oz cloth. The bottoms with 2 coats of neat epoxy:

But I've also started on the electrical. Here's the switch panel wiring -- I rewired the entire panel from how it was received:

I have two states per switch: Lit (device enabled), and off. I also replaced one switch with a momentary switch for a horn:

But there's also a second circuit that is permanently on, regardless of the switch state, controlled by the toggle switch on the small voltmeter panel:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 49, 50, 51, 52

I'm working stern-->bow on the interior now. Work has been really busy, so I haven't had a chance to work much on this project, but I got the integrated cooler built in the past few weeks.

First, I dry-fit 1" closed-cell foam. Cutting was super easy with a straight edge and a razor blade:

The design is to have the whole middle section be a cooler, and there is a small cutout in the corner to be a bait-box:

In the middle of making the cooler, I made a minor change in plans -- rather than having the seat enclosed all the way to the transom, I decided to make open wells on both sides to store fenders. I'll also put in a way to hold a fishing net, and possibly additional poles. I want to keep the motor well empty, other than a bilge pump:

After cut to size, the foam was covered with fiberglass cloth on one side, and all the wood platforms were coated in neat epoxy too:

Glued in the foam and the cleats that will hold the seat tops. If you look closely you can see that the transom knees are also being glued, with a brick holding them down:

Then I created fillets on all the edges, including the enclosed aft part of the seats:

Last night everything got a good sanding to knock down the excess fiberglass bits, and the first coat of fairing was put on:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Day 53 (but the calendar says it's 3 months later 8O :( )

I had to spend some time focusing on work, and then the holidays hit. Didn't even touch the GV-13 since last October.

Last night I worked on hatches for the stern seat. First I measured the cutout, adding a small radius to each corner...

... and cut it out with a jig saw. I spent a few minutes sanding all the edges to smooth out the cuts, and also provide room for the hatch itself:

Then I cut 2" pine strips on 45o angles to create a picture-frame style backing:

And finally glued it all together with some thickened epoxy:

The diesel heater worked great, getting the garage quite warm while I was working on it, and then the oil-filled radiator heater kept things from freezing overnight. Everything cured by this morning. Felt good to just go back out in the garage and spend some time making sawdust and mixing epoxy!
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Matt!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yep if I go too long without mixing some epoxy I have to dream up a project :lol:

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Day 54

Got a good chunk of hours in over the weekend, getting most of the the stern seat complete, plus got started with the middle-seat:

Dry fit before laminating in the side hatches:

I also started to work on the mid-seat. The mid-seat will have fishing storage below, with custom shelving. I was using sample pieces to dry-fit for sizing. The middle will have a small integrated garbage section. Also, since there will be seats permanently installed on the bench, I decided to add a bit of cross-bracing for strength:

I was able to mix up some epoxy, to glue down the storage shelf floor, as well as the backing frames for the hatches:

Overview as things got shut down to cure overnight:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.