Mattkab's GV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mattkab's GV13

Post by Jaysen »

Hold more boats! No longer used. :D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 & 30

Bottom fairing.

There's a joke, I may have heard it here, that we build boats the wrong way. It would be much more efficient to just make a full block of epoxy, and sand out the shape of the boat. It's not funny.

I put roughly 5 coats of fairing compound sanding with 40 & 60 grit in between with both the random orbital and a home-made long board. I'm not a fan of this part of boat building... but then I seem to have OCD about it, and every time I think "this is the last coat", and I sand it, I look at it and say "eh, it could use one more coat"

The first coat, after sanding, you could still see the fiberglass:

A few coats later, it's starting to be smooth and fair:

I honestly lost track of how many fairing coats I layed down, but this was the last one. This was the first time making my own fairing putty with microballoons and silica, and I really liked it. I could control the density on a per-pour basis. The last few coats were quite thin -- a ketchup consistency, and only about 6ox for the whole boat:

One last pass with the longboard:

Detail of the surface. I was going to prime it, but decided to wait. I'll let the epoxy fully cure to make sure I get good adhesion while I work on the inside:

My boatwork pants are good and messy by now:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Day 30

Flip day.

With my wife and daughter's help, we lifted the boat up off the strongback, and layed it down in the main garage. For the first time there's something to give this boat relative scale:

With the boat off the strongbacks, I unscrewed the bulkheads from the vertical 2x4s. Then I used the bulkheads as a pattern to trace and cut the vertical 2x4s at the same angle as the hull. I screwed down the leftover 2x4s on those angles. Then covered the runners in strips of an old towel, making an improvised, cheap "trailer" for the second half of the build:

And then put the boat back on the strongback/trailer. I'll need to re-do the supports on the bow, because height matters. :oops: :
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice :!: Sure a big 13 foot boat.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 31 & 32

This project slowed down a bit, as I was out of town for some time, but I've kicked back into it this week. After I flipped the boat a few weeks ago, I've been thinking about how I want the layout to actually work. It's much easier to see dimensions in person, which will adjust the plans accordingly. I'm working on the first 2 frames, and the motor well this week.

Fishing is going to be a big use case of this boat, so having rod storage is critical. I created a rough pattern for two pole-holders built into each side of the frames, cut with a hole saw and a jigsaw:

Rinse and repeat across all the frames, up through the bench seat:

While doing some cutting/construction, I also put two coats of epoxy on both sides of the stringers:

Back in the stern, I'm starting to finalize the seating/storage solution. I decided that I want to be able to pass larger items through Frame-A, so I measured out the hole outboard of the motor-well sides:

It was good practice for the eventual flush-mount hatches that I plan to cut out:

And finally, dry-fit in place:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 33, 34, 35, 36
I continue to work on the boat a couple days a week for 3 or 4 hours after work. It's progressing. I'm going through epoxy like it's water -- I'm going to need to order more. But the boat is still very light and I can easily pick it up off the trailer. I'm already starting to customize things as well. I also got a sliver of fiberglass stuck in my skin. I thought I just got poked, but it got a bit infected a few days later. When I was dealing with the small abscess, it poked right out - I had no idea it was in there. I won't post that pic, but if anyone likes that kind of stuff (I come from a family of nurses, so they all wanted to see the pic), I'll link to it.

Measuring out the glass tape for the fillets in the stern:

This is the aft bench, which will have an integrated cooler/fishbox on the centerline

And here, in the forward compartment, is the base for the fuel tank

The stringers are double-taped with biaxial tape, and then the entire floor is covered in biaxial cloth between the frames:

Here's a closeup of the tabbing around the frame and the stringer. The fillet hadn't set off well enough, and the thickened epoxy around the frame leaked out, causing the tape to malform. It's on the inside of a compartment though, so I'm going to let it be. I'll pay attention to the outside visible seams.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You have been making progress :D

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 37, 38, 39, 40
I'm in the dog-days of the build right now. Not a lot changing that deserves photographs, but still a lot of work. And I'm using a LOT of epoxy --- I know I am not building a minimalist version of this boat, but I'm on my 3rd order of 1.5 gallon kits of epoxy. Boat is still very light though -- I can easily pick it up on the temporary trailer. I'd guess the boat is around 70ish pounds?

I got all of the vertical bulkheads tabbed in (including two extras that weren't on the plans):

And layed down the biaxial cloth on the bottom panels, then knocked down the high-points with a RO sander before starting the fairing process:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress Matt!!!! Jeff