Mattkab's GV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mattkab's GV13

Post by mattkab »

I've been planning this build for a while. My first question on the topic was in 2018. I bought the GV11 plans, but after looking at them for a while, realized it was still a little smaller than I wanted. And I found I could modify my flybridge and get some extra space, so I bought the GV13 plans.

I have a different approach on this build. Most people here like to keep their small boat builds simple. It's smart -- you save weight, improve performance, and reduce the build time. I'm going in a bit of a different direction. The intended uses of this boat, once complete, is to be my primary fishing boat (Puget Sound, Washington State), a day cruiser, and be the dinghy on our "big boat". It's replacing an 11' RIB.

That means I'm going to change a few things. The biggest changes from the plans will be enclosing the bow for storage, creating additional storage in the mid-seat, and adding a dodger for rain protection. I'll be adding a console for steering, electronics, and safety equipment. I'm going to try to build an integrated cooler centerline on the aft bench. And if I can pull it off, I'm also going to install a small diesel heater to make this a full 4-season Pacific Northwest boat!

With the Stay-In-Place order extended for at least another month, and Work-From-Home mandated for me until at least June, it was time to break ground on the project. This thread will be the log of the build. It's my 4th boat build, and 3rd BBC boat, so I clearly have no idea what I'm getting into. So I'm sure I'll have questions and F!-ups too.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mattkab's GV13

Post by mattkab »

Day 0:

Of course, before you start a big project building a boat, you need to do a big project cleaning out and preparing your garage! Over the course of 2 weeks, I cleaned and rearranged the 3rd garage, creating a workshop. I threw away over 2000lbs of stuff that was collected over 15 years living in this house -- and it still looks like we are hoarders.

But 8 sheets of ply were delivered yesterday:

Router table, table saw, epoxy station... and a smart TV that streams music, movies, and youtube:

I learned in my last builds that my wife does not appreciate the thin film of sawdust that ends up on her car overnight. So I put up a dust screen. It won't fix it all, but hopefully it helps.

Ready for Day1:
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Good use of your time at this point :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good start Mattkab!!! Jeff

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

Looks great - I love my Garvey 13 - it can handle any sea conditions that I can.

When using the boat "we are one" after about 150 hours of running.

I would consider putting another layer of glass on bottom panels if you are going to add weight and want to use in heavey seas.

Have fun!!

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Days 1, 2, 3

Got most of the bulkheads measured and cut out. The only one left is C2, which will replace the OSB board later on, making enclosed storage on that bench.

Three things that you can never have too much of when building a boat:
1) Sandpaper
2) Clamps
3) Measuring Tools

And yes, the masking tape is a measuring tool.... it's a 3" radius. :D

A & T bulkheads drawn:

I was very proud of this. The plans were able to be cut to size and taped to the inside of the garage door.

My new favorite tool: a 4.5" circular saw. Made quick work of 90% of the cuts, and very easy to keep straight on the long runs

Jigsaw for just the round parts and the stringer notches

All of the bulkheads layed out. I won't be home for a few days, but next week I'll work on cutting out the benches and the rest of the 3/8" ply parts.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Day 4:

Measured and cut out all the 3/8" pieces that have measurements. I also cut out the extra bulkhead pieces (C2, D2), just slightly over-sized. I'll need to measure and cut those down after the hull is stitched together. C2 is interesting because I didn't have an efficient way to cut it as a whole panel, but it's not nearly as load-bearing as designed (I still have C1 a foot away), so I will butt-splice the two pieces together when I do the hull panels.

I drew out the foredeck, but then decided not to cut it too, since I may need more material, and will wait until later in the build.

I expect to still need to cut out seats, outboard of the motorwell sides. I thought about calculating the dimensions, but decided to wait and measure that as well later. I don't know if I need the knees, but I cut them out as well.

Matt.
Seattle, WA.

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Quick note on images in this thread:

They are all hosted full-sized on my wordpress site. Wordpress gives a very easy way to resize images in the URL, which I use to make it fit this forum's image sizing rules.

There's a very easy way to see the full sized image if you want to:
  • Right click on the image, and click on "Open in new tab"
  • Look that the URL of the image, and you will see either ....jpg?w=500 or ...jpg?w=1280
  • Delete everything after .jpg from the url and reload
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Matt, your kit is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday) by COB!!! Jeff