Page 1 of 1

CS25 Progress?

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:10 pm
by sportfish
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has built or is building a CS25? I've seen a number of threads from some months back about people getting started....but all the threads seem to trail off.

Anyone out there? Pictures? War stories?

I'm about to begin construction of my own, and would really love to see some pictures.

Thanks!

CS25

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
by Deedaddy
I started build a CS25 last week. It has came along nicely. Should be glasing the outside by thursday. Will take some pics.

Re: CS25 Progress?

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:17 am
by JimW
sportfish wrote:Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has built or is building a CS25? I've seen a number of threads from some months back about people getting started....but all the threads seem to trail off.

Anyone out there? Pictures? War stories?

I'm about to begin construction of my own, and would really love to see some pictures.

Thanks!
Fishguru is building one but he's a stealth builder. Sometimes you can bait him up with talk of fishing and switch the subject to boat building. :)

progress

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:28 am
by Deedaddy
I have the hull glassed and we are starting to fair it today. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:37 am
by fmiles
Pictures, we need Pictures :D

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:55 am
by tech_support
Please post some pictures. I would be happy to post them for you if you just email them to shine@e-boat.net

Joel

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:35 am
by tech_support
Here are a few pictures from DeeDaddy.....

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-2212

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:46 am
by fmiles
Bl%%dy hell, that's a big brute! Thanks for the pictures, keep it up!

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:49 am
by bbuckl
Sure looks like it is going to be a tight getting threw that door!

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:57 pm
by Chalk
Sweet..... ~^ ~^

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:36 am
by tech_support
Just added 2 more (better) CS25 picts...

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =164&pos=6

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =164&pos=7

You can see how he's going to get it out of the gargage.

joel

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:24 pm
by tech_support
:D For those of you following, there is another picture of D's CS25 hull, just posted.

Joel

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:21 pm
by sportfish
Deedaddy...awesome job. it looks great!

How much do you figured it weighed at the stage when you flipped it? Did the overall hull seem sturdy or did it flex much?
What are you planning on using for power?

beautiful boat!

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:41 pm
by Noti
That really looks huge ! Pls keep posting pics.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:54 pm
by tech_support
I post them as DeeDaddy feeds them to me.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:47 pm
by Deedaddy
That was fun....will better that board sanding :D . To answer some of your ? ..........I guess it's weigh at about 900 # . It it quite strong feeling but has a lot of twist. I will set her up to be sure it is true and straight. I plan to power her with a 300 HP cummins diesel sterndrive.

Pictures

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:23 pm
by Deedaddy
I have started my own gallery. Some of the pictures have already be posted but I have edited them to make them clearer. Don

Begining inside

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:56 am
by Deedaddy

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:29 am
by Chalk
What kind of wood did you use Deedaddy.....Awesome job...Keep it up... =D>

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:17 pm
by sportfish
Unbelievable! Awesome job.

I'm about to start a CS-25 myself...Any lessons learned so far you can share?

Did you add additional flare where the bow stem meets the deck? it looks awesome that way, but the drawings I have don't seem to show any flare there. nice touch.

Will your diesel be mounted against the transom or pushed forward with a jackshaft?

Very nice work.

Hi all

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:15 pm
by Deedaddy
The plywood is Meranti BS1088
The flair is straight from the plans. Takes alot of fairing to build it out to a nice curve.
The engine will be mounted at the stern. The sterndrive and engine weigh 1300#. since the design is for two large outboards on a bracket it should work out.
I have been dry fitting everything into the hull today. Will post picture shortly.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:27 am
by Capt H
DeeDaddy,

Did you buy the kit or cut it yourself? Shoot me an E-mail with how I can get in contact with you if you don't mind. capthassler@yahoo.com

No kit

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:17 pm
by Deedaddy
I cut it myself. Quite easy to do. 8)

Glass structure

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:24 pm
by Deedaddy
This week has been alot of glassing and structure work. Pictures http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625[/url]

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:18 pm
by Chalk
I can't wait to retire...Your kicking some major butt....At this rate you might be fishing by Xmas :lol: Keep it up..Awesome... ~^ ~^ ~^

LOL

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:13 pm
by Deedaddy
Well at my age ...64 I need to push. The blue fin will be running off NC coast in Feb. and I hope to land a 400# one on the new boat. Half the fun is in the building....naaaaaaaaaaa...it's the fishing... :lol:

Re: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:55 pm
by nordmann
[quote="Deedaddy" I plan to power her with a 300 HP cummins diesel sterndrive.[/quote]

Hi.. This is very interesting.! Here in Norway, diesel costs only one third of the price of gasolin. :)

Chase tubes

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:19 pm
by Deedaddy
Chase tube are in and some frames in place. Will be adding foam shortly. New pictures posted.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:08 am
by tech_support
At the IBEX show we found some interesting news on Nani Diesel Engines. I am going to be working out a deal get a Toyota based marine diesel (200 hp, 675 pounds). Its the same block used by Yanmar for their engines of that size. Very light weight and serviceable by a Toyota or Yanmar mechanic! Oh yeah, and the price is better. :)

The have other engines also, but that one would work very well for the CS boats.

More to come soon, hopefully.

Joel

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:52 am
by JimW
DeeDaddy,

Nice work. Great pace too.

Engine

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:06 am
by Deedaddy
That sounds interesting...about half the weight of the cummins. Keep us posted.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 am
by tech_support
The next bigger block made around 320 hp and it was under 1000 pounds.

Good day

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:22 pm
by Deedaddy
The cockpit area is foamed. :D . It took 4gal (32cu. ft.). looks like 2 more gal will do the cabin area. Will post pictures tomorrow. Plan to install sole over it tomorrow and frames in cockpit.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:29 pm
by Chalk
DD your gonna have to wait a few days and let the resin cure :lol: ....Can't wait for the pics.... :D

New pictures

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:20 am
by Deedaddy
New pictures of foam are posted.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625
The foam does not need to be left open to cure. As you can see it is quit strong.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:48 am
by Yoda
Don, the foam job looks great. How did you get it that flat and right up to the top?

Lou

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 am
by Jonnas
I am simply amased with the pace. Great job!

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:12 am
by tech_support
SpeedyDaddy should be your name. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:43 am
by ArizonaBuilder
Don, the foam job looks great. How did you get it that flat and right up to the top?
I think the key, is the hand saw in the background.

Speedy...LOL

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:41 pm
by Deedaddy
Well the Dee name was given to me by my first grandson when he was 6 months....so it will have to stay. He is 18 yrs. old now.
Fill to the top.....well we were able to get close by measuring closely. Topped it off with small amounts. some over fill but I don't like to leave holes under the sole with no access. small amount of waste after sawing it off this morning.
Sole and frame E are installed. My helper will be doing fillets and tape on joints this afternoon while I go vote.
Will post pictures again tonight.

Pictures

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:02 pm
by Deedaddy
New pictures are up. 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:00 am
by Doug
Ah Ha! The secrets out.
My helper will be doing fillets and tape on joints this afternoon
Great progress and excellent work. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one splashed! You are correct "It's the fishing" but I'm going to have to find a barn to build one in.

Filets and tape!

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:04 pm
by Deedaddy
A solid day of filets and tape. Added frame "I" modified for sterndrive. Plan to do foam below sole in cabin tomorrow.

pictures

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:13 pm
by Deedaddy
New pictures of this week work.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Foam deck

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:11 pm
by Deedaddy
Glassed the bottom of foam deck before stitching in place. New picture are posted.

Cabin

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:03 pm
by Deedaddy
Foam core is ready to glass outside. Picture postedhttp://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:09 pm
by Tree_Top_Flyer
Looks incredible... I can't wait to see more pics!

Cabin Glassed

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:19 pm
by Deedaddy
Glassed the outside of cabin top today. Will take it off and glass inside tomorow. Uploaded new pictures.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:46 am
by TimeWalker
deedaddy I think the next project is a bigger workshed :) looking good and your an amazingly fast worker on such a large boat

Workshop

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:04 am
by Deedaddy
It is tough with 25' of boat in 26' space. New building next year 40 x 40. Started galley frames and other misc. things yesterday. Will begin finishing inside today.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:41 pm
by TimeWalker
yo deedaddy did ya fall off the face of this earth :)

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:41 pm
by MikeS
Timewalker; he's probably out fishing that boat by now!!! :lol: Man that guy works fast!!

Still here...

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:52 pm
by Deedaddy
Still working on it. Took a few days off to visit family. Lot's of small things to get ready before topside painting and finishing. Made some changes to the cabin to suit my needs.Started on rub rails today. Will post some pictures tonight.

Fuel tank

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:03 pm
by Deedaddy
The fuel tank came in today. Will install it tomorow. New pictures posted http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:05 pm
by gralex
I do believe that Deedaddy has boat elves and sanding gnomes that appear after dark in his workshop.

What size tank is that?

elf

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:38 am
by Deedaddy
Elfs are welcome...lol The tank is 115 gal. custom made by Best for diesel with two pickups and returns. I may install a small generator. The engine selection has been changed to a 200hp cummins with a max fuel flow of 8 gal/hr.

Tank is in

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:41 pm
by Deedaddy
Got the fuel tank in the hole and placed top on wheel house today. New pictures posted http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Re: Tank is in

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:53 pm
by chrisobee
Deedaddy wrote:Got the fuel tank in the hole and placed top on wheel house today. New pictures posted http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625
They ought to call you SpeedDaddy... Looks like a tremendous job on that boat.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:40 am
by attownsend
Deedaddy,You are my kind of builder! 8) Your house bilt on stilts?Mine was when I lived there.God I miss that place! :cry: Got to get back to visit some day.Miss the garage under the house.And you should try building one in a space 20 x 20.You know the Florida basement.You know everything goes in the garage. :lol: :lol: Evild.

PS:Have to visit some time.Have boat will travel.!! 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:13 pm
by jimnc
Deedaddy - I'm in Wilmington too - I'd love to see your boat sometime.

EvilD - when did you live here?

Jim

Contact

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:24 pm
by Deedaddy
My cell # 9105126348 . I am around most of the time.
Finished installing fuel tank and glued the sole in place. Did most of the fillets on topside . Will be doing the last glass work next week.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:03 am
by attownsend
jimnc wrote:Deedaddy - I'm in Wilmington too - I'd love to see your boat sometime.

EvilD - when did you live here?

Jim

From birth until I signed up for service in the military.You know helicopters and all.Evild

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:08 am
by LIVEWIRE
i had a residence there in 90-93 even if it was a 26 foot camper parked in a secluded spot right before the drawbridge at wrongsville beach.
worked at cape industries 4 days a week back then on an electrical project.

considered to be one of the best times of my life. work a ten hour day, surf fish half the night.

Priming top side.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:34 pm
by Deedaddy
Just finished first coat of primer on top side deck. Good thing the garage is heated it is cold here. Hope to get most of the fairing finished next week. http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 205&pos=75

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:38 pm
by gralex
Evil D, It is nice to know that you are also a practitioner of the dark art of spinning wing aviation.

Re: Priming top side.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:20 am
by Cooper
Deedaddy wrote:Just finished first coat of primer on top side deck. Good thing the garage is heated it is cold here. Hope to get most of the fairing finished next week. http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 205&pos=75
Deedaddy, you're truly an inspiration. I look daily for your progress updates! It will be a almost a year before I even start, but seeing your work reminds me that this is a real possibility! Great work. Keep it up and you'll be done in no time! :!:

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:31 am
by attownsend
gralex wrote:Evil D, It is nice to know that you are also a practitioner of the dark art of spinning wing aviation.
Yea,

You say dark art,buddy you have no idea how dark.That's where I got my nickname.I was VERY good at what I did,not proud,just did my job and kept my ass alive!! 8O 8O 8O 8) .Evild.

PS: B co 159th aviation battalian Vietnam.

Progress is

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:55 am
by Deedaddy
Progress is just doing one thing at a time. Being retired from general contracting and not having to work helps move it along. I will be slowed down shortly by a land developement progect that I have to finish.
Seems that quiet a number of the people on here have an interest in flying also. I flew my own plane on business for about 20 yrs. Enjoyed it alot.
Well it is putty time in the garage. Also have started planing the electrical system. Alot of the equipment will be 12v but will be installing an inverter for things like ref., cooktop/oven, AC unit in cabin...ect

Still fairing.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:52 pm
by Deedaddy

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:47 am
by Hoot
One word....WOW!

This boat makes my DE23 look small.

I know everyone is envious of your shop.

Great job !!!.

I know your project is going to inspire a lot of new builders.

Hoot

Transom engine box mod.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:27 pm
by Deedaddy
Started modifing transom and engine box today. This will give more room in the cockpit. Picture of what I have in mind is posted.http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 2625&pos=0

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:08 am
by baydog
DEEDADDY your CS25 is exactly what I want to do on my CS23 plus a transom door if I ever get started on it. When the wife and I bought a new house, 71 years old that looked good, I did not realize how many projects it would demand :help: . I can not finish my cc cause I can't finish my "new" work shop cause I am trying to fix little things. :help: If I only had spare money to pay someone to work on house while I worked in paper mill then on off days I could build boats. Nope, spare money goes to pay for painting interior, buying antiques "of the period", etc. I think if I could have a 100' x 100' metal building with good heat and a/c, mattress on the floor on 50 acres on Mobile bay I'd be happy :)

This week work

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:27 pm
by Deedaddy
Got the deck and wheel house mostly faired. Some minor spots should be ok after a coat of awl-quick and three coats of 545 primer. Also started on the engine box transom extension.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:42 am
by débutant
Hi Deedaddy,

Firstly, let me congratulate you on your supurb workmanship and the magnificent boat you have taking shape! You've inspired this down under, wannabe boat builder to seriously consider building the CX25 one day. One day ...

I know you are retired and so I was curious to know around about how many hours a week you spend building the boat? Just curious is all.

Keep building and posting pictures. Like many others here, I'm following your progress with great interest.

Down Under Aussie

How much time?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:04 am
by Deedaddy
Well it varies but I would guess about 30 hrs. I take alot of breaks..LOL Most of the sanding is behind me now so things will began to come together quickly.

Predicted CX25 Performance

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:27 am
by débutant
Heya Deedaddy,

Don't want to take you away from your building schedule too much. I have a couple of difficult questions about your CX25 power, which I'm pretty sure will be difficult to answer.

If I wait a couple more months, at the rate your building, you'll be able to give us all the actual figures :) However, I was wondering what your expectations of the 200 HP Cummins Diesel stern drive, will be?

1) Do you have any idea or a ball park guess of what the max speed you think you'll achieve with the 200 HP Cummins ? I think you mentioned the engine will run at a max fuel flow of 8 gal/hr. Any guess as to how many miles per hour (knots) that would be?

2) Also, at what speed and how many gal/hr do think you'd be cruising aiming for optimum fuel efficiency? (I know it's an airy fairy question but any ideas? Like best fuel economy at 6 knots/7 miles per hour or something like that?)

I'm an absolute newbie to boat building but I'm just really curious to know what sort of range your boat will have with the 115 gallon tank you've installed.

If anybody else has any ideas or guesses, that would be great!

Sincerely,
Aussie Dreamer

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 pm
by Toni V
1. Jacques estimates are 33knots with 5000lbs and 37knots with 4000lbs

2. If the engine runs nicely with low rpm's it will be most fuel efficient at <7 knots speeds. However this is a planing boat designed to run higher speeds. Most efficient planing speed will be most likely at 20 knots or so.

Generally most boats are either displacement boats desined for 4-8 knots speeds with very good fuel efficiency or planing boats designed for 15+ knots speeds with worse fuel econony but faster speed.

Where is the beginners faq btw? there was a lots of writing about these issues....

Power vs. speed

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:39 pm
by Deedaddy
The last post sounds about right to me. However I am now planing on a 300hp engine. That is why I MODIFIED the transom extended motor box back 18" to save room in the cockpit. Top speed should be around 40 knots at 12 gal /hr. The blue water Gulf Stream is a 2 hr run at 30 mph so should do that at 6 gal/hr. So a day long trip with 6 hrs to troll would take about 50 gal. Sometimes the water will let us run much faster making time for more fishing.

Motor box

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:43 pm
by Deedaddy
Built and glassed cover for motor and began fairing out engine area. http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Progress

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:04 pm
by Deedaddy
Well I am getting close to doing some painting. http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Going slow

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:51 pm
by Deedaddy
Didn't get alot done this week. Had to rough-in plumbing for my oldest son's new boat building shop. 80' x 150' x 25'high. Did have time to set some of the eguipment in place and cut holes for water and electric. Making sure everything will fit before finishing. It is working out great. :D

Hello...hello

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:30 pm
by Deedaddy
Is there anyone out there. Maybe if have been overcome by paint dust...LOL just kiding guys. This little stoff is getting to me.....frames for port lites. :help:

Re: Hello...hello

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:46 pm
by attownsend
Deedaddy wrote:Is there anyone out there. Maybe if have been overcome by paint dust...LOL just kiding guys. This little stoff is getting to me.....frames for port lites. :help:

Yea,I'm still with you!Sorry I haven't gotten back with you on your post,been really busy myself.But I have been keeping up with your progress,and it's very cool.Very nicely done my man,very nicely done!!! 8) 8) Build on dude :D

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:05 am
by tech_support
I want to see what goes on in that new boat shop of your son's :D

What go on

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:34 pm
by Deedaddy
I want to see what goes on in that new boat shop of your son's
He builds custom yachts. At this time he has a 64' and a 54' under construction. The new building will be large enough to have five going at a time. They take about 18 months to build with 12 people full time. I will post some pictures on my server later.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:59 pm
by tech_support
I have seen a picture of one of his boats :D

Very nice

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:22 pm
by sportfish
Don-
Your progress is amazing! I check the site 3 times a day crossing my fingers, hoping for more of your updates!
Keep up the good work!

Progress

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:02 pm
by Deedaddy
Did not get as much done today as I had hoped. The port lite frames were still a little stickie. Very cold here and shop heater is not keeping up. Got water tank and water heater in place glassed inside of seat support boxes and sanded floor in cockpit. Ordered heat pump for cabin and began laying out the electrical systems.

Not feeling good

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:42 pm
by Deedaddy
Got alot of little things done today but I think I am getting the flu. Wife has been sick for a week so it had to happen. I know guy's ...I tried to stay out of her face but she can't help her self...We have only been together 43 yrs. LOL ....Was going to post some new pictures but batteries are dead in the camera.

Progress

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 pm
by Deedaddy
This week worked on inside of cabin cutting holes for plumbing, electrical and air condition ducts. Primed and faired the areas that will be painted. Did not get much done since I was sick all week.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:34 pm
by squid
Daddy,
Sorry to here you are sick I sure do like your boat some day maybe I can build that good. I have been pretty busy my self I took my OB-15 out this week and boy what a thrill to actually see the fruit of my labors floating really nicely on the water and it handles like a dream. When you feel better check out the pics of me and my youngest son testing it out. I really need to find a name for her. doesn't sound right calling my boat, it.anyone out there know german?
Get better and keep building I can't wait to see your maiden voyage shots.
Squid

New pic.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:54 pm
by Deedaddy
Just uploaded some new pictures. A little more sanding and a couple of coats of primer , three coats of finish and the cabin will be ready for some equipment and headliner.

Engine is on order.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:48 pm
by Deedaddy
Placed order for the Inboard and outdrive today. Will have a delivery date in a few days.http://www.cmdmarine.com/pdfs/18280303.pdf

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:03 am
by FLYonWALL9
It makes me feel all warm inside knowing your putting a diesel in that pretty boat. I am always amazed at the speed your building the boat. Keep up the good work!

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:59 am
by Steve_MA
I am just in awe seeing someone install their own inboard. For me, I love boats - thats one end of the spectrum. Working on engines is at the other; and its not because I am totally (I get the basics) ignorant of them, its mostly just because everytime I used to do work on them, it was (a) cold (b) snowing (c) impossible to reach (d) wrong tool (e) dont know what the part is called (f) stripped threads (g) late for work and (h)of course, the only car I have. 8O So now I have resolved to pay people to maintain and fix things for me :idea: :idea: :idea: Thats the sucking sound you hear as the money comes out....

I dont know the first thing about putting an engine in a boat, but since I have my sights on building a DE or NV23 someday I need to ...ah, learn at least the first thing....even if I have someone else actually do it.

Does anyone know of any resources on the web that might help me (with installing an engine, not my other problems :help:?
A quick google didnt reveal anything particularly complete...

Thanks

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:36 am
by FLYonWALL9
Most dealers that sell the motors local will put them in align and shim them up. Its much more involved than hanging an outboard but we are talking about something that is made to run 3/4 throttle at 2600 to 3400rpm for hours and burn little to no fuel. We have a Volvo TMD40 I think it is on the big boat and go fishing 8 to 10 hours and burn all of 40 bucks worth of the red stuff.

To me there is no other way of fishing offshore and I have fished on several SKA boats where we have burned over 40gal just in oil!

I'm closely watching this project because I'm in the air between the CS23 AND a Panga. I want to see how the inboard does in this 25.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:50 am
by jacquesmm
We sell an excellent book about inboard installation:
http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddet ... rod=GNL006
It is not that difficult and we will help builders who buy the engine form us with an installation template and instructions.
See the TW28 study plans for an overview of the process.

In this case, it is an I/O. It requires an alignement tool that you can usually borrow from the company selling you the engine.

Installing

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 pm
by Deedaddy
Jacques is right it is not that hard of a job. Most of the one's that I have done were much larger ...1500 hp to 2000 hp..... This is my first Inboard-outboard and like he said special tools are required. The cost of the tools are around $1100 dollars but I am getting the engine through my son as an OEM customer. On the large engines the factory sends a tech. to check them out and start them the first time. I don't know if Cummins will do that on this size since it will be factory tested.
I would say the book Jacques referred to is a very good one.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:00 pm
by jacquesmm
$ 1,100.00 must be for the complete set: the alignement tool with the splined shaft, a metal template for the engine beds and a set of drilling and cutting jigs.
An amateur can make plywood jigs and template.
I consider an I/O more difficult to install than a straight shaft.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:28 pm
by Steve_MA
Thanks for the help guys......things are never that hard one you know how to do it :wink: :wink:

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:08 pm
by Deedaddy
Like I said this is the first one for me. I am trying to get the supplier to lend or rent the tools to me. If not maybe I can get an amateur to make plywood jigs and template. We will see.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:39 am
by OffshrAngler
Deedaddy, do you have any pictures of the very eginning work of your CS25 like when you were cutting and placing the stringers, frames, etc.?

The begining

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:48 pm
by Deedaddy
No I did not take any in the begining. Only after Shine ask me to take some and post them. It was not very difficult to cut...used a skill saw on everything. The curves cut fine if you set the saw ti just cut though. It was about three hours of work to mark and cut all the frames. Panels are even easier . Screwed them together at a couple of spots and cut them in pairs.

Electrical, plumbing and HVAC in cabin

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:45 pm
by Deedaddy
Just posted some pictures of installed equipment in the cabin. http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:11 pm
by DrBones
Wow..central heat and A/C - I'm amazed! - Can't wait to see the final interior! :P Keep the pics coming!

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:02 am
by Yoda
Oh boy are you gonna enjoy that boat ! That really is a custom built, composite design. :D

Progress

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:23 pm
by Deedaddy
The interior is coming along nicely. Should have some pictures of it in about a week. Engine is due in two weeks. Want be long and I will have to come up with a name for her.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:16 pm
by 50c
Deedaddy, great job on your project. Quesion, what name does your son build the custom boats under? Currently I have 2 small carolina boats a 25' and a 32', 1 frame 1 jig, and would love to get a big one started soon. Thanks

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:03 am
by attownsend
Deedaddy,that is awesome.Hope my Panga 25 look half as good.You go man.When you slash it maybe you can give me a ride.Evild.

Custom builder

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:45 am
by Deedaddy
My son's company name is Caison Yachts. 910-681-0120 Ask for Don or John.

Splash

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:51 am
by Deedaddy
Deedaddy,that is awesome.Hope my Panga 25 look half as good.You go man.When you slash it maybe you can give me a ride.Evild.
I am sure your progect will look great. You are invited to go for a ride anytime.

Re: Splash

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:54 pm
by attownsend
Deedaddy wrote:
I am sure your progect will look great. You are invited to go for a ride anytime.

Most excellent! 8) Evild.Build on dude

Progress

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:15 pm
by Deedaddy
The cabin interior is almost finished. I have to install the head ,carpet, lights, cabin door and hardware tomorrow. Nancy, my wife should have the cushions for the V-berth finished also. I will post pictures by monday.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:05 am
by sportfish
Unbelievable progress as usual! You'll be fishing in style!

pictures

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:30 pm
by Deedaddy
Just posted some new pictures.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Re: pictures

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:24 am
by Mike Adams
Deedaddy wrote:Just posted some new pictures.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625
Beautiful work! Looks like a production boat finish. Congratulations.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 am
by OffshrAngler
Deedaddy, What do you have left to do?

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:37 am
by OffshrAngler
50c wrote:Deedaddy, great job on your project. Quesion, what name does your son build the custom boats under? Currently I have 2 small carolina boats a 25' and a 32', 1 frame 1 jig, and would love to get a big one started soon. Thanks
50c, what plans did you use for the 32'? I just recieved plans for a 30' from Hal spencer.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 am
by Geomarq
Was that a temperature control unit I saw? Wow. Keep going it looks great.

AC

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:52 pm
by Deedaddy
It is a reverse cycle water source AC unit.http://www.mermaidmarineair.com/default ... 13&cnl=206

As to what is has not been done....Alot...lol. I will be working on the cockpit area next. Preparing to install Inboard sterndrive. My plan is to work my way from the inside out. covering finished areas with plastic as I go. This will help to keep clean up to a minmiun

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:31 pm
by sportfish
Hey Don,

Did you get that beast of a power plant yet? Can't wait to see it!

Power

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:24 pm
by Deedaddy
No it has not arrived. I should have the cockpit front deck and engine compartment finished painted by first of week. I may move the boat to my son's boat shop to install the engine. My headroom is very low in the garage.

engine

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:51 pm
by Deedaddy
Got a call from Cummins rep. today. The 300 hp engine has been replaced with 320 hp. The new model will cost $400 more but they are going to lean me the special tools and templates. He is going to let me know on Monday what the shipping date will be.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:00 pm
by sportfish
400 bucks for an extra 20 horses....that sounds good to me!

Progress

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:56 pm
by Deedaddy
Well the little stuff is endless. The engine and outdive are scheduled to be here on the 29th. Should be all painted out and ready to do the install. I hope to launch in mid april.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:15 pm
by JohnD
Congrats Don,
You'll be just in time for the spring yellow fin run!

btw, $400 for 20 horses is great. When I priced the 330 vs 370 it was aboug $4k difference (I didn't bite either).

-john

Getting excited

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:44 pm
by Deedaddy
I am down to the wet sanding and touchup of primer on the deck, cockpit and hull. The Cummins factory rep. come by this week to get dim. for cables and wireing hariness. Showed me some proformance #'s on some 300HP installs that weight 3000# more than what I should have.... Well this old man many never see full speed ahead...LOL ... Well the fishing will be great. 10 days to engine delivery...
Just a note... The wife and I went out last night to the best Steak Place on the east coast for our 43 ann. I am a lucky man. She is still one hot lady and she knows how to do boat uphoulsery... LOL

Re: Getting excited

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:01 am
by tech_support
Deedaddy wrote: and she knows how to do boat uphoulsery... LOL
Very nice :D

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:46 pm
by OffshrAngler
8O The engine came in yesterday right?

No April fooling!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 am
by Deedaddy
The engine and outdrive are here!! http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Re: No April fooling!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:53 am
by chrisobee
Deedaddy wrote:The engine and outdrive are here!! http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625
You plan to have that in by lunch? :wink:

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:07 am
by nordmann
Deedaddy wrote:The engine and outdrive are here!! http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

I am drooling on my desktop :P

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:21 am
by Dane_Ger
nordmann wrote:I am drooling on my desktop :P
What he said! :D

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:42 am
by Hendox2
OffshrAngler wrote:8O The engine came in yesterday right?
Holy Crap. That thing maks my 100hp OB look a bit small. You must be happy.

Getting engine install started

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm
by Deedaddy
I made a good start on engine install today. Got transom cut out made and sealed wood with epoxy.

Engine is in

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:07 pm
by Deedaddy
Got the engine installed today. It was a job because of the low head room in my garage. A few more connections and install the swim platform!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:08 am
by Hendox2
Hi deedaddy,
I am looking at buying plans for the C(X)25. Just a little question in relation to you CS. What type of trailer do you have eg: Double Axel or Tri Axel, Brakes etc. and what type of vehicle will you move it with.
Cheers Mate
Matt

Trailer

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:11 pm
by Deedaddy
I just ordered the trailer this week. It will be here next week. It has capacity of 6000#. Tamden axles. I will be using a one ton GMC truck to move it.

Back to work

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:03 pm
by Deedaddy
I have been working on my sons new building for the past two weeks. Got the wiring. plumbing, heating and air roughed in. Will be back on my boat tomorrow if everything passes inspections. Will have some new pictures soon.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:12 pm
by OffshrAngler
sounds good to me.... cant wait to get my started

Trailer

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:39 pm
by Deedaddy
My trailer arrived today. Got swim platform glassed to the transom. Sanding and fairing it tomorow. Hope to get it out of shop in a few days. Need to get the finished weight so we can size the props.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:35 am
by Geomarq
Hey Deedaddy, at your pace, I'm guessing your fishing on your new rig by now. How's she coming along?

Getting close.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:20 pm
by Deedaddy
It is getting close. I have had some other things that had to be taken care of. I should finish rigging engine controls and wiring tomorrow.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:01 pm
by Cooper
Any new pics? :D

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:14 am
by sportfish
Hope everything is going well for you Don. We're dying to see some more pics! You're probably out winning tournaments already!

Great pics of your Son's boat on the other thread by the way. Looked like a fun day.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:03 am
by Dane_Ger
You bet we'd love an update on your progess, not to mention pics! The work you've done is mighty impressive!

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:19 am
by chrisobee
Given his pace up to this point, He's fishing.

Hi guys

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:38 pm
by Deedaddy
Sorry I have not been posting more often. I have been tied up finishing all the electrical, plumbing, air lines, tele-com, gas lines, HVAC and dust collection systems at my son's new shop. He wants to move in three weeks. The new shop will have room to build up to four 75' boats at a time.
What I have been doing on the cx25 is mostly the wiring and rigging. I am reminded of how hard it is the work a job and still have the energy to work on my boat at night. My hat is off to you young guys. Monday was my 64th birthday. I hope to be retired again soon.....LOL. ... Well we all do things for the kids even if the are 42.
I will post some new pics. this weekend.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:03 pm
by odras
Don, adopt me please :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:58 am
by débutant
Happy Birthday Don!

Glad to hear there will be some more pics soon! Was starting to wonder where you'd gone ...

Aussie

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:49 am
by Dane_Ger
Happy Birthday :!:

Look forward to seeing those pics this weekend!

Nice picture.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:23 pm
by Deedaddy

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:03 am
by Toni V
I must say the CS-25 looks much bigger in the desing pics. 8)

...For real, remeber to take lot's of trip when you take CS-25 to her maiden trip.

Looks like GF 14

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:03 pm
by Deedaddy
First trip on GF 14 with the outboard on it.
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-4132
I will need more of a crew to take pictures when we lanch the CX 25.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:39 pm
by tech_support
Cant wait to see that boat!

I am still hear.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:03 pm
by Deedaddy
Just wanted to let you all know that I am still living. LOL ....Just not able to do much on the CX 25 lately. There is a big push to finish my son's new shop. We can all be glad that we don't have to deal with inspectors while building boats. I would like to know if it is ok to post a link to some pictures of this project on here. While it is a yacht building company the processes are very close to what we do here. Just on a larger scale.

Re: I am still hear.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:46 pm
by Wrightsville Beach
Deedaddy wrote:Just wanted to let you all know that I am still living. LOL ....Just not able to do much on the CX 25 lately. There is a big push to finish my son's new shop. We can all be glad that we don't have to deal with inspectors while building boats. I would like to know if it is ok to post a link to some pictures of this project on here. While it is a yacht building company the processes are very close to what we do here. Just on a larger scale.
Where will the shop be located? What types of boats will be built there?

Joe

Re: I am still hear.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:24 am
by tech_support
Deedaddy wrote:Just wanted to let you all know that I am still living. LOL ....Just not able to do much on the CX 25 lately. There is a big push to finish my son's new shop. We can all be glad that we don't have to deal with inspectors while building boats. I would like to know if it is ok to post a link to some pictures of this project on here. While it is a yacht building company the processes are very close to what we do here. Just on a larger scale.
PLEASE do :!: I found one of your son's boats for sale on line - very nice. Pictures of professional shops can only help folks here.

Caison Yachts new shop pictures

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:43 pm
by Deedaddy
Here is a link to pictures of new shop on Caison Drive in Hampstead, NC. http://deedaddync.tripod.com/fishing_in ... .album?i=0
The building has 5- 25' x 85' bays with 22'x24' overhead doors. There is one bay for storage and offices. One of the 5 bays will be a clean room for finishing.
There is also a picture of a 60' yacht that we launched last summer.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:30 pm
by Doug
Now THAT'S a shop!

Yep it is a big one.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 pm
by Deedaddy
Things were hopping there today. Carpet and floor covering in office area going in...painters finishing....plumbing fixtures arrived.
Looks like the first use of the finish room will be painting my CX25.
It is going to look small it that room. Can't wait to get back on it.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:29 pm
by Rick
Doug wrote:Now THAT'S a shop!
Yeah, well, just sweeping it would take a week. Who needs a big ol' shop like that?

*Sob*

Moving in

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:12 pm
by Deedaddy
The move to the new shop started this week. http://deedaddync.tripod.com/fishing_in ... .album?i=0

Hope to move my cx25 this week.

Getting close

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:17 pm
by Deedaddy
Finally ready for top coat of paint.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 05&pos=113

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice job :!: Same goes for the GF :!:

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:48 pm
by Deedaddy
Cracker Larry wrote:Very nice job :!: Same goes for the GF :!:
Thanks... It has been a big job compared to the GF14 which only took 3 weeks to build.
Hope to finish the paint this week. Still alot to do once she is on the trialer. but should launch soon.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:52 pm
by Deedaddy
Finished the paint on the hull sides today. Three coats of awl-grip 2000a
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-5126

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:24 pm
by attownsend
Chalk wrote:Sweet..... ~^ ~^

Sorry I have'nt got up with you lately.Been really busy late,but most excellent!Evild.And yes I'm still alive who whould have thought :?: :?: :?: 8) Evild.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm
by Deedaddy
attownsend wrote:
Chalk wrote:Sweet..... ~^ ~^

Sorry I have'nt got up with you lately.Been really busy late,but most excellent!Evild.And yes I'm still alive who whould have thought :?: :?: :?: 8) Evild.
Evild my man!!!!!!!!!! good to here from you....busy...I know what you mean. The past several months have been totaly taken up with things other than my boat. Now we are headed full speed ahead to launch. The plan is laid and she will be in the water in two weeks.

New pictures

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:55 pm
by Deedaddy
Just uploaded some new pictures.http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12625

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:46 am
by Mike Adams
Don,
That's looking really sweet! Beautiful craftsmanship. Congratulations.
P.S. - that is one BIG boat!

Rub rails

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 pm
by Deedaddy
Installed rubrails during last two days. Really brings out the carolina's style. Plan to do non-skid on the decks tomorrow.

Out of the garage.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:58 pm
by Deedaddy
I plan to install outdrive tomorrow , fill fuel tank and water tank. Take it to a set of truck scales to get weight to size props.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:21 pm
by gpratt
Don

The boat looks great. Job very well done.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:47 am
by sportfish
Looks incredible! Great job. Those fish better look out!

Outdrive installed

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:18 pm
by Deedaddy
Ready to get weight for prop cal.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:54 pm
by Welsh_diver
Nice job.

Can you tell me why you made the transom modifications? What advantages does it have?

Thanks
A

Transom mod

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:36 pm
by Deedaddy
The change was made to move the engine back and provide more room in the cockpit.
The weight with full fuel and water came out at 6000#. Plan to order props tomorow.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:08 am
by tech_support
What does the engine weigh, just curious :?:

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:34 am
by Deedaddy
The engine and outdrive weigh about 1300#

Launch

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:22 pm
by Deedaddy
Looks like launch will be delayed by the the storm. Maybe it will be only a cat 1.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:47 pm
by Doug
Congratulations on a very nice looking boat. I'm looking forward to hearing how she performs since I think it will be my next build (some day). How many hours would you estimate you have in it? How many $'s (if you don't mind)?

How much time and money?

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:43 pm
by Deedaddy
The time is around 700 man hours.
Engine, hvac, plumbing, wiring and misc. 32000.
Electronics 3000
Boat 17000
Trailer 3300
So a total of $55300

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:33 pm
by Deedaddy
Well Looks like Ophelia is closing in on us. Cat one storm probaly by the time she passes over the gulf stream. I hate the ones that move so slow. It will probaly last for three days. We have had 40 mph wind gus today. Rain is heavy already. Don't think I will get to launch tomorow...LOL o well it could be worse. I have a generator but will probaly lost internet connection tonight. Hoping for the best.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:03 pm
by FLYonWALL9
She sure did turn out nice Dee.

Hunker down and rider er out, good luck with the storm if your not already in the middle of it. It sure could be worse lemme tell you. Ya'll will be fine, sure hope you put that boat in an open feild.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:16 pm
by Deedaddy
Made it through the storm ok. Road to my house was flooded until late today so still don't have props. I guess they will deliever on monday. Should have all electroiics working by then.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:08 pm
by bear
Don

Did you get the props? I would very much like to see your boat on the water, how it performs etc...

:P Bear

Sea trials

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:42 pm
by Deedaddy
Yes the props come in .....cummins.....sent three pitches for the trials. The factory tech. came today and ran test on the engine and check my install. Everything was right.
The boat is fast ( 45knots ) at 3900 rpm with 26" pitch props. It is very stable at all speeds and handles great.
I still have some details left to do but it is ready to fish. Did not have time to take pictures today since it was only the two of us.
I will take pictures next time.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:11 pm
by Yoda
It sounds like you have 10 to 15 knots of headroom there. Cruising at 30 to 35 knots, not even a strain. Even that is fast for a 25 footer. That's quite a boat you have there. Can't wait to see pics of her on the water. :)

weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:50 pm
by Deedaddy
You are right about the top speed. More impressive to me is the speed at 50% power (2000 rpm) which was 23 knots. That power setting uses about 7 gals/hr. That is 16.4 hrs of fuel at that speed. Great hull design.
I have to find someone with a boat that can keep up with me to take some pictures..LOL
Oh ...bye the way... the boat is named Bubba....
At the ramp today two of the large marine dealers were launching boats. They wanted to know the brand of the boat.....I told them it was custom built by Bubba's Boat Works. All that sanding paid off.

Re: weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:09 pm
by Rick
Deedaddy wrote: At the ramp today two of the large marine dealers were launching boats. They wanted to know the brand of the boat.....I told them it was custom built by Bubba's Boat Works. All that sanding paid off.
Your self-made 25-foot diesel-powered offshore fishing boat -- $50,000.

Impressing purveyors of Clorox bottles -- priceless.

There are some things money can't buy, for everything else, there's Boatplans-online.

I bet JimW's C19 could go fast enough to get some pretty good pics... drive it on down to Florida!

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 pm
by stickystuff
Dee Daddy,Awsome boat. I can relate to the fairing and sanding. Well worth the effort. I will stick to the flats rigs.