Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

wpstarling wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:02 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:35 pm You can also glue blocks to the deck with bolts facing up, this avoids the need to penetrate the sole. Many people mount tanks this way.

Edit: my tank blocks were solid wood, but I would use plywood blocks for a grabrail for resistance to splitting.
How do you get the hexagonal shape cutout of the wood?
So, I'll preface by saying that you don't need to: you can oversize the holes for the hex heads, put the bolt in and then fill the gaps with slightly thickened epoxy, job done.

If you do want to hex-shape the holes, this is what I did, and only because I was jonesing to do some woodworking.

1. Use a forstner or paddle bit to drill the hex-head hole slightly undersized, to the depth needed to bury the head.
2. Through-Drill the bolt-shaft hole
3. Push the bolt through the hole and then tap it in so that the hex-head impresses the wood, giving you guidlines to chisel
4. Clean the flats with a chisel.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:26 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:35 pm You can also glue blocks to the deck with bolts facing up, this avoids the need to penetrate the sole. Many people mount tanks this way.

Edit: my tank blocks were solid wood, but I would use plywood blocks for a grabrail for resistance to splitting.
So, I'll preface by saying that you don't need to: you can oversize the holes for the hex heads, put the bolt in and then fill the gaps with slightly thickened epoxy, job done.

If you do want to hex-shape the holes, this is what I did, and only because I was jonesing to do some woodworking.

1. Use a forstner or paddle bit to drill the hex-head hole slightly undersized, to the depth needed to bury the head.
3. Push the bolt through the hole and then tap it in so that the hex-head impresses the wood, giving you guidlines to chisel
Wow, that's a lot simpler than I was thinking. I was expecting some kind of router bit or something haha. Thanks for the tidbit. I'll be using this in the future! Sorry to threadjack for a minute there :)
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

wpstarling wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:40 am

Wow, that's a lot simpler than I was thinking. I was expecting some kind of router bit or something haha. Thanks for the tidbit. I'll be using this in the future! Sorry to threadjack for a minute there :)
No apology necessary, not my thread! :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michael.Schwind »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:46 am
wpstarling wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:40 am

No apology necessary, not my thread! :lol:
No apology needed! I'm glad that you asked the question. I was wondering the same thing.

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michael.Schwind »

Well I finally finished my skiff. Thank you to everyone on here for all of the advice, encouragement, and kind words. Below is the link to my build album. I'll be sure to add more photos of the first launch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUe2eTJvMh9mySHS7

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks just great, looking forward to pics of the launch. Love the decking.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Congrats!! Jeff