Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by Michael.Schwind »

Would it be ok to make the skeg out of southern yellow pine?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Wouldn't be my first choice but it will work. The skeg is almost sacrificial anyway. I like to use Poplar. Easy to find and it is a good, hard, consistent wood. Not expensive either.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Is it recommended to glass the deck even if it is going to be covered with Marine Mat?

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Slow and steady wins the race! I've made some progress since my last post. I glued the skeg on, which was made from poplar. I faired the bottom and sides of the boat and learned that fairing is tedious and time consuming, and I installed the bow eye. I also ordered my 8hp Tohatsu, my grab rail, and my primer and paint. See the link below for photo album.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FoUzVtLVp3

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Michael.Schwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:40 pm Would it be ok to make the skeg out of southern yellow pine?
Yes, especially if you have some old growth SYP. It can be tough as steel. Just put a layer of 12oz biax over it and you will never have to replace iit. :lol: Poplar is a soft wood and you will have to replace it every couple of years.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

How important is it to fiberglass the deck? I am at the point in my build where I have to make that decision. I have seen some people have done it and others have not. Regardless of glass on the deck, I will have fairing compound, primer, paint, and Marine Mat. Thanks in advance for any advice!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That fiberglass is not structural, you don't have to do it but it will protect the deck from abrasion and add some stiffness.
Note that there are two versions of the deck, one is a short foredeck. I would not glass the short deck. I see you do the long deck.
The long version deck is supported by a frame and longitudinal stiffeners but it flex a little bit if not fiber glassed. If you are on the heavy side, glass it.
If you fiberglass it, you will not need much fairing. There is no need to fair much under the non-skid. Deck glass does not add much weight, labor or cost.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Michael.Schwind wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:58 am How important is it to fiberglass the deck? I am at the point in my build where I have to make that decision. I have seen some people have done it and others have not. Regardless of glass on the deck, I will have fairing compound, primer, paint, and Marine Mat. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I resisted but ultimately glassed it with 6oz and am glad I did. Not for the stiffness but for some confidence that a dropped tool etc won't immediately puncture the wood. Effortless glass job compared to most of the rest of the boat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank y'all for the information! I have enough scrap fiberglass pieces left over to cover the deck, but it would be a patch work. Do you think that would be ok? I think I would be able to fair things up afterwards.