Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

That's how I did my FS14. It left a 6" fabric overlap on the transom and that took some time to fair, if I was going to do it again, I may eliminate the overlap on the transom, maybe leave a small gap instead to make the fairing a bit easier. If i was going to do it over again, I would probbaly not spend nearly the amount of time I I did fairing the bottom/keel, I would be happy to live with the tape lines on the keel/bottom for the amount of work it took given the attention it will get, which is about none.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michael.Schwind »

What are people's opinions on the position that the grab rail is mounted? I have seen some where the 45 degree support bars are toward the bow, and some that are mounted toward the stern. I like the look of it when it is mounted toward the stern, as it allows an ice chest to be set in front of it, facing forward. However, I worry that the support bars might be in the way and potentially cause a tripping hazard while driving. Any thoughts?

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I made some progress this weekend by getting the hull glassed. I will add another coat or two of epoxy to fill in the weave, but overall I am very happy with how it turned out. I've added some photos to my album that can be seen by clicking the link.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FoUzVtLVp3

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

skobiela13
New Poster
New Poster

Post by skobiela13 »

Great progress! Boat looks great. About to start on my own SK14.

Oh, and nice A&M flag! I'm actually located in the BCS area :P

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

skobiela13 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm Great progress! Boat looks great. About to start on my own SK14.

Oh, and nice A&M flag! I'm actually located in the BCS area :P
Thank you! I haven't made much progress on it in the last month. I have been distracted building the world's fanciest chicken coop for my wife! But I am hoping to start fairing it this weekend.

Feel free to ask any questions about the SK14 build. I have learned a lot through the process, and there are people on here that have a ton of experience. There are several SK14 builds in Texas!

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a couple of questions regarding the skeg.

1. Is it even necessary? I will be powering this boat with an 8hp Tohatsu.
2. Should I install the skeg before I fair the hull, or after?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Michael.Schwind wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:11 pm I have a couple of questions regarding the skeg.

1. Is it even necessary? I will be powering this boat with an 8hp Tohatsu.
2. Should I install the skeg before I fair the hull, or after?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
At 8hp I'd definitely go with a skeg. Mine (w/ a 6hp) has a skeg and slides just a bit in corners, with even more power, you'll be slip slide'n away without one!

Since the fairing compound really isn't structural, most folks attach the skeg before fairing. You could do it after to make fairing easier but you'd want to scrap down to fiberglass along the keel before gluing it on. Don't forget to stop the keel about 1.5' from the transom.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I agree with Brian. I have a little 1" skeg and don't slide much with 5 hp. I would fair first as I think it may be easier to scrape/sand off a bit of the final fairing where the skeg fits than to fair with the skeg in the way.

Dougster

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank y'all for the help! Sounds like a definitely need one.