Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mike Schwind's SK14 Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

Michael.Schwind wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:17 pm Thank y'all for the information! I have enough scrap fiberglass pieces left over to cover the deck, but it would be a patch work. Do you think that would be ok? I think I would be able to fair things up afterwards.
Mine was also patchwork, I left small gaps between pieces instead of overlapping to make fairing/ filling easier. Play with a few scraps first to get a sense of how the edges will act before you're commited.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michael.Schwind »

What type of fasteners should I use to attach the grab rail to the deck? Are stainless steel wood screws the thing to use?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

I would definitely recommend stainless. The key is find a way to keep any water from getting under the deck through the screw holes. You can overdrill holes, create an epoxy plug, and then drill into the plug. I would also use some 3M 4200 to seal around the screws. This will hopefully keep the plywood from getting wet.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

You can also glue blocks to the deck with bolts facing up, this avoids the need to penetrate the sole. Many people mount tanks this way.

Edit: my tank blocks were solid wood, but I would use plywood blocks for a grabrail for resistance to splitting.
Attachments
20201116_185329.jpg
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

https://www.kennedytiedown.com/componen ... -deck-bolt

Kennedy has some nice hardware! I wonder if the above would work to make it removable...

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have added some photos to my build album below.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FoUzVtLVp3

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike, great photos!! Really enjoyed seeing that young man involved with the build!! Jeff

Michael.Schwind
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:41 pm Mike, great photos!! Really enjoyed seeing that young man involved with the build!! Jeff
It's been a lot of fun having him involved where he can be. It's mostly been him playing in the garage while I work. I enjoy taking pictures of him with the boat to show the amount of time that has passed since I started. In the beginning he was an infant, sleeping in the garage, and now he is a two year old that asks to go to the garage to see the boat!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Mike!!! He will really enjoy those photos in 25-30 years!!! Jeff

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:35 pm You can also glue blocks to the deck with bolts facing up, this avoids the need to penetrate the sole. Many people mount tanks this way.

Edit: my tank blocks were solid wood, but I would use plywood blocks for a grabrail for resistance to splitting.
How do you get the hexagonal shape cutout of the wood?
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)