Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Post by jonnymac »

rick berrey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:03 pm jonnymac , I wouldn't worry about any criticism if I were him , he has a fine boat .
I wouldn’t either, but when someone talks about doing something off the beaten path here its a little over exuberant warning people of risks so far that I think it keeps some people from posting details.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I hate it that you guys feel this way. For the most part folks here are helpful and just want builders to succeed even if it might not feel that way sometimes. I do think that if you stray too far from the norms the failure risk is much higher. This is coming from a guy who gets out on the edge regularly. Good friends from this site will tell me I am nuts, and they are right, but it does not hurt the friendships.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Fuzz , I admire the fact that the DE29 builder took the risk , he got a fine boat out of it . The forum members keep people from taking risk without knowing they are taking them and give good advice . Criticisim may not have been the best word to use . I would have no problem taking risk that are within my math ability , scaling 1 or 2% over the 10% rule of thumb , length only would not scare me , but 20% or 30% I would want the designer to hold my hand . My thoughts are if the DE can be scaled up 30% then maybe the Nina can be as well , it would be somewhat like the cruising version of Top Hat , only in foam or stitch and glue .

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pat4 »

Hi guys,
Some little words from the DE 29 builder😉.
One of the reasons I didn’t share all the changes I wanted to make was the fact that I didn’t know everything in advance.
An other reason was that if someone would tell me: I’m going to add 4ft in length, 8” more freeboard, raise the cockpit and the cabin, change the bottom thickness from 3/8 into 1/2, enlarge the bottom surface by 10% and put the motor in an enclosed well, I would say he was mad and would ask why he bought this plans!

I had 2 things in mind when I started my build.
- motor in enclosed well. Why? Because in my opinion it looks better, it gives a lot of space for a sunbed, motor noise decrease. Consequence was that I needed more freeboard because off the trim possibilities.
- it had to look good and everything needed to be in proportion. when you only add 4ft in length, without further changes, the boat would turn out looking like a overstretched DE25. To long for her height.( in my opinion..)

During my planning one thing lead to another. For instance; I wanted a lot of storage. Fuel tanks had to move from the benches to the bottom. I didn’t want a raised floor in the cabin, I didn’t want to spend money on custom made tanks. So I had to adjust the floor height to standard available tanks. And so on…
Ofcourse in the end the boat turned out heavier than designed but considering the extra length and width it is still in proportion.
Overall it is still a very light boat.

I took a great risk by changing almost everything. I kept me awake sometimes because of all the money that went into it not knowing if all my, carefully thought through, changes would work.

But it turned out perfect for me!

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Pat4 , key is you knew the risk before you started , I am sure the finished product is well worth your sleepless nights , great boat .

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Pat4 , one question , I take it you did scale the beam by 10% ? thanks . Rick

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pat4 »

rick berrey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:54 am Pat4 , key is you knew the risk before you started , I am sure the finished product is well worth your sleepless nights , great boat .
Thnx!!

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pat4 »

rick berrey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:01 am Pat4 , one question , I take it you did scale the beam by 10% ? thanks . Rick
Hi Rick, Beam is about +8%. Due to the scale up of the bottom and freeboard

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The key to me is the builder knew there were risks involved and was willing to accept them. Building your own boat has a built in set of risks but it also gives the reward of being able to have what you want and not what the factory gave you.

Pat4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pat4 »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 pm The key to me is the builder knew there were risks involved and was willing to accept them. Building your own boat has a built in set of risks but it also gives the reward of being able to have what you want and not what the factory gave you.
I totally agree😉