Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Post by jonnymac »

I think kicker for running the slow down current runs, and the big one for out running weather on the great lakes, the new jersey stretch and the gulf stretch. or just trying to make the bridge/lock schedule.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

rick berrey wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:27 am I agree with the kicker , but if you used the kicker much of the time why would you need the primary large hp outboard for this design concept ? It would be like needing two different motors , one for displacement speed , one for semi displacement . If twins will not do the job then are we back to an inboard ?
Rick you have 3 Great Lakes, Michigan, Huron and Erie to navigate. You want to get through them as soon as possible, so a 60-90HP main engine to provide planning speed would be useful. Instead of 6mph, 17-18mph for a semi-planning boat which I guess is your goal The Great Lakes can and will kick up a storm in short period of time. I grew up on Erie. Lives are lost nearly every year.

You will be using the kicker a lot less than the main engine. As jonnymac pointed out most of the loop is open water, you can add the Mississippi to that. You will be using the main engine the majority of the time and the kicker only as needed.

As far as your question on twins, why, more expensive, uses more fuel, as far as far as inboard same problem as an outboard it can't be run at low speeds(rpm's) without problems. Plus more building problems.

Good luck on your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Shug21
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shug21 »

Any movement forward on this concept? I have been looking at the plans for a 36' trawler and also a 28' trawler, both are using a single diesel and traveling at hull speed but since I have no intent to rush 6-9knots will work just fine. still hoping Jaques comes up with a plan that blows me away.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I started thinking about the DE29 , J liked it a lot . The DE29 is a scaled DE25 , not sure if it was scaled in all directions or only length . But which ever way it was scaled , it broke the 10% rule of thumb to get to 29' . If we look at the DE25 it was derived from the DE23 , so if the DE29 is scaled from the DE23 as it,s base , then it is scaled around the 30% range . So if designing a DE29 why not use the LB22 and have a true double wedge semi displacement hull , a LB29 ( Big Nina ) instead of a DE29 ?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I built the LB22 and even with 30% more space that would be a pretty small cabin compared to a DE29.

Dougster

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Dougster beam would have to be scaled as well , 30% would put you at around 28' with a 9' beam . A 30' version should give you room for two , the ability to make the Loop , and hop around the coast of Fl.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

the de29 was just the de25, but he extended the fair line another 4’. which most of was the motor well. Basically we are talking a scaled down version of the TT35. to 30’
rick berrey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:06 pm I started thinking about the DE29 , J liked it a lot . The DE29 is a scaled DE25 , not sure if it was scaled in all directions or only length . But which ever way it was scaled , it broke the 10% rule of thumb to get to 29' . If we look at the DE25 it was derived from the DE23 , so if the DE29 is scaled from the DE23 as it,s base , then it is scaled around the 30% range . So if designing a DE29 why not use the LB22 and have a true double wedge semi displacement hull , a LB29 ( Big Nina ) instead of a DE29 ?

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

jonnymac , if you look at the pictures of the DE29 the added 4' ended up below the waterline , so the 4' extended the DE25 waterline well past the 10% scaled rule of thumb for length only . I am not sure if the DE25 is a 10% scaled DE23 or not , but I think it is , if so the DE29 was scaled 30% or so from the original design .

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

In other posts, it is mentioned this was a 24’ boat that was scaled 1’ down and up.

the de29 was only extended in length. He didn’t post any details other than that, I get the idea that he didn’t want criticism on whether it can be done from the usual group on here.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

jonnymac , I wouldn't worry about any criticism if I were him , he has a fine boat .