Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Great Loop Trawler/Cruiser - Concept

Post by glossieblack »

Yes, yes I know this is a Great Loop trawler/crusiser thread.

However, there is much to be said for buying a popular sailboat that is comfortable to motor cruise in, fun to sail, and which, if you buy right, you'll be able to sell for much the same price when you're finished looping.

To this end and out of curiosity, I've been researching quality, fit for purpose, popular, affordable, comfortable, sailable, seaworthy and loopable US volume-built sailboats.

Then out of the blue, a friend here in Australia has just purchased a great example of a 1992 solid glass, no bright work Florida built Catalina 42 footer in very good condition. She'd been sailed downhill from the US to Australia by one-way sailors.

A Catalina 42 is firming up as my prime candidate as a quality Great Looper that can be purchased on a budget, and sold for near purchase price when you're done looping. And life's better when you sail as circumstances permit. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

From the reading I have done there is at least one bridge you can not get around that is 19 foot max. Not being a blow boater I am not sure how much problem it is to step and unstep the mast. I have read where a shoal draft sailboat can be a great way to make the trip.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, there are some bridges that you will have to unstep the mast. Even on the Mississippi. Had a friend do it many years ago and totally enjoyed the experience on a Catalina 28 I think maybe 29.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

If you don't want to unstep the mast ..... :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I[/youtube]
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 pm From the reading I have done there is at least one bridge you can not get around that is 19 foot max. Not being a blow boater I am not sure how much problem it is to step and unstep the mast. I have read where a shoal draft sailboat can be a great way to make the trip.
when i see the great loop sailboats pass me on erie canal many are stepped. so its obviously worth it for lots of them.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:42 am Yes, yes I know this is a Great Loop trawler/crusiser thread.

However, there is much to be said for buying a popular sailboat that is comfortable to motor cruise in, fun to sail, and which, if you buy right, you'll be able to sell for much the same price when you're finished looping.

To this end and out of curiosity, I've been researching quality, fit for purpose, popular, affordable, comfortable, sailable, seaworthy and loopable US volume-built sailboats.

Then out of the blue, a friend here in Australia has just purchased a great example of a 1992 solid glass, no bright work Florida built Catalina 42 footer in very good condition. She'd been sailed downhill from the US to Australia by one-way sailors.

A Catalina 42 is firming up as my prime candidate as a quality Great Looper that can be purchased on a budget, and sold for near purchase price when you're done looping. And life's better when you sail as circumstances permit. :D

i had a friend that bought a sailboat and sailed it one way across south pacific from seattle to baja mexico to Australia. and part of why they could afford the trip as they sold it at a profit out there.

back to the loop, if you are building a boat with the hope of doing this journey. i can’t see that person selling it when they are done.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I have been looking at existing plans scaled 10% and how they would fit the concept requirements . I think our concept is deciding what to take on the trip , a camper or RV . The TW28 already qualify,s for the trip , + 10% I think would put you into the upper end of the camper range and do the Loop in relative comfort . Down side,s of a TW28 +10% might be draft , is not being able to tow it , don't think it will hit 12 mph , no outboard options , getting to the higher end of disp of our concept , and lower range of concept length . Atkins has two boats , Naiad 28'1" and Nanuk lll 28'7" that if scaled 10% would put them closer to Gerr,s 34' design , both the Atkins being sea bright skiff hull,s . There are a lot of unknowns with the Atkins designs , disp. being just one . I mentioned Atkins Seal in a post , other than lower hp and a different look it brings nothing to the table that the TW28 is not already offering . One boat we have not mentioned is the Fl26 , +10% would give a go lite Loop boat for short hop,s , or low end of the camper concept . An outboard option for the TW28 might be something to consider . For me we are now looking at two different boats , one being a TT35 style that can be towed , lighter disp , shallow draft , short cruises , or camping style cruises , the other being for long cruises . If we are looking at a long cruise boat then I think we should pay less attention to disp and beam , towing option should be gone , 12 mph dropped to 10 mph , a TW33/34 with a 3' or less draft .

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Shug21 have not heard from you since your first post. Has any of this helped you in your decision. While I lived in Cleveland I knew several people who had done the Great Loop through my father-in-law's Yacht Club. Not many, each had taken 3+ years and each had some great stories. None ever regretted doing it.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy the trip. Watch the Great Lakes parts they can kick up fast. Enjoy your selves.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Shug21
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shug21 »

Hey tom, Thanks for the comment. It has helped and I am patiently waiting to see what Jacque's comes up with. With corona virus slowing the world to a stand still and then the Red Tide restarting its crap down here I have been slow to move on any projects. Actually have a build that will be starting in the next couple weeks for a flats boat. As for the Great Lakes I grew up in northern WV and fished all the Great Lakes for bass, walleye, steelhead and salmon.

I would like to say the great loop is still on the plans but until there are plans I feel comfortable building or I stumble across a boat that works for the right price it is just a dream for now.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Shug21 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:46 pm Hey tom, Thanks for the comment. It has helped and I am patiently waiting to see what Jacque's comes up with. With corona virus slowing the world to a stand still and then the Red Tide restarting its crap down here I have been slow to move on any projects. Actually have a build that will be starting in the next couple weeks for a flats boat. As for the Great Lakes I grew up in northern WV and fished all the Great Lakes for bass, walleye, steelhead and salmon.

I would like to say the great loop is still on the plans but until there are plans I feel comfortable building or I stumble across a boat that works for the right price it is just a dream for now.
Good for you no need to be in a hurry in these days. Enjoy your flats boat.

Tom