FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Fuzz »

Can you post pictures of the flaking and transom issue? I have never seen the flaking you are talking about so maybe I will learn something. At your expense of course :roll:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:19 pm I have found three problems. Lets say the first two are just minor irritations and the third a royal pain in the ass.
First problem:
Unable to reach full throttle. I was going to do a run up of RPM and speed. When I went to push the throttle forward the highest I could go was was 5400rpm. Problem was fish finder in the way. DOH. solution- move fish finder.
Second problem:
when raising the motor there is an interference with the steering arm when raising motor to park the boat in driveway. I had the same issue on the last boat and just lived with it. I think it is a result of the plate put on the back when the transom was modified.
Anyone else have this issue?

The final problem is the flaking of the graphite epoxy on the bottom all ready. COuld I have used to much graphite? The last boat went 5 years before I noticed any issues. It sounds like a lot of work in my future. Suggestions?
Rover1 couple of questions, did you mx the graphite in one of the resins before you combined them, do you how much you added. You should always mix it in one after sifting to get it well dispersed. A 20 -25% amount is good with 4 coats is good. Sorry to hear about the other problem but they can be fixed. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi TomW,
I think you may have hit the graphite problem spot on. Very sure there was to much graphite added.
I will sand and re-coat the bottom.
Would like to hear about keel protectors that are made by 3M and how well they hold up for trailering as well. May be an option since the other boat had problems over time.
Interference issue,
Will probably just live it. But need opinions. The motor is now back ~12mm from where it was originally because of backer board.
I have attached a few Pictures below.
Bottom flaking_1.jpg
Bottom flaking+2.jpg
Steering Center Position.jpg
Top veiw Interference.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi All,

been a while since last post so I thought an update was in order.
The boat is complete and have been running hard for about two months.
The transom issues were corrected and the motor now sits fine with the cavitation plate at the bottom of hull.
For motor I had selected a Suzuki 4stroke 40 HP. The engine runs fine and is dead quiet at idle.
for performance numbers with 14 pitch prop:
ingear @~1000rpm 3.5MPH
1500RPM- 4.8
2000 7.5
2500 10
3000 14.5
4000 18.8
5000 24.0
5500 28.0
I cruise comfortably at 4000-5000RPM and rarely go above that. Never in a rush while fishing.
AND the boat is loaded with fishing MOJO.

Rover1