FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Rover1 »

PXL_20210811_122313092.jpg
PXL_20210811_122326079.jpg
IMG_20210811_081530_01.jpg
Finally was able to make pictures work.
Can anyone tell me if the boat is to high on the trailer?
When I started the motor it purred beautifully.
As I pulled up someone was having issues with their motor. A larger version of my Suzuki. Not a good start.
Rover1

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure about your trailer question but I would be surprised if you are not happy with the Suzuki. I have a pair of them and have been well pleased. But then it seems like all of the newer outboards are good products. I think the biggest deal is finding a dealer that will treat you right.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I cannot agree more with Fuzz!!!! Jeff

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

While have the boat inspected the officer also noted that the Suzuki should cause no issue. They had just done a replacement of twin engines with Suzuki. Zero complaints MUCH better than the e-tech they replaced.

The inspection and registration process has been more brutal than normal. It was bad enough to begin with. Now complete!
have the badge and registration and title in hand. Now just need to launch it officially. I will provide pictures when that occurs.

Rover1

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Rover1!!! Well done!! Jeff

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Boat has first fish. So it is now Officially Christened the Sea Rover.

Have been breaking in the engine.
With two people, large people at that, at 550 pounds, 230 for motor and basic gear ~100. The provided prop
is 14 pitch.
Just makes it on plane at 4000 RPMs. Very pleased so far. another hour at 4K and start short period of full power.
Have also foamed 4 of the compartments. Since the floor needs to be repainted due to gas spill I will finish the foaming first.
Rover1

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Doing the break in like the book says is tough to do. I always want to see what wide open is like :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 pm Boat has first fish. So it is now Officially Christened the Sea Rover.

Have been breaking in the engine.
With two people, large people at that, at 550 pounds, 230 for motor and basic gear ~100. The provided prop
is 14 pitch.
Just makes it on plane atpr 4000 RPMs. Very pleased so far. another hour at 4K and start short period of full power.
Have also foamed 4 of the compartments. Since the floor needs to be repainted due to gas spill I will finish the foaming first.
Rover1
Rover1 I am a little concerned that you are only getting on plane at 4000rpms with the load you have. I think you are under propped. I will wait and see what your rpms top out at before commenting further.

Well keep us informed and include your speed at each rpm reached. Thanks.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom,

Was a bit concerned about that myself. I will be going out Monday alone and do a step chart in 500rpm segments. Weather permitting. Will also break down the weight for better analysis. The motor is almost broken in.
High speed so far is about 26mph. Have not reached full throttle yet, but close.

Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

I have found three problems. Lets say the first two are just minor irritations and the third a royal pain in the ass.
First problem:
Unable to reach full throttle. I was going to do a run up of RPM and speed. When I went to push the throttle forward the highest I could go was was 5400rpm. Problem was fish finder in the way. DOH. solution- move fish finder.
Second problem:
when raising the motor there is an interference with the steering arm when raising motor to park the boat in driveway. I had the same issue on the last boat and just lived with it. I think it is a result of the plate put on the back when the transom was modified.
Anyone else have this issue?

The final problem is the flaking of the graphite epoxy on the bottom all ready. COuld I have used to much graphite? The last boat went 5 years before I noticed any issues. It sounds like a lot of work in my future. Suggestions?
Rover1