SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by BB Sig »

Looks great! Waiting patiently for the pictures of the boat on the water.... :roll:

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Well everybody, here are the photos on the water. We took it out yesterday afternoon when the lake was really empty... I've never launched or driven a boat before so it was good that it was empty, it was a learning experience to say the least. The boat is very sensitive to any movement of the tiller or increase in speed. Once the grab bar is mounted, I think it will be easier to handle.

Thanks for all the support, encouragement and advice along the way! Super glad I did this and even more excited to be on the water.
IMG-4585.jpg
IMG-4590.jpg

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yes you will be much better off with a grab rail. I started to post the other day about its sensitivity to movement of the tiller and should have. I nearly fell out once and that was just with the 5 hp tohatsu! Takes a bit to get used to it--it's a sports car :D I put a cooler in front of the grab rail and sit to steer. No standing for me when underway, but then I'm 71 and don't have the balance I once had. Be a little careful and have a lot of fun! ALWAYS have the kill switch on. The time I nearly fell out I had forgotten to attach it 8O Don't be me.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done AG!! Send us more photos once you get the Grab Bar on her!!! Again, great job and congratulations!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Absolutely awesome! That sled must be a ROCKET! Happy to see the pdf. I'd encourage you to keep a mini airhorn clipped to the pfd so if you do go in the drink you can make some noise, and maybe even keep an orange flag in the vest pocket. I do the same when sailing solo and my wife does the same when supping alone. I'll admit to an obsession with safety on the water.

Would love to see some video underway and look forward to hearing about the first fish!

Great job, really impressed.

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Oh Hell Yes! Awesome job! Bet she scared you! Get someone to take a video of you screaming by. Be careful... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Congrats on the launch! The boat looks good on the water.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Dougster wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am Yes you will be much better off with a grab rail. I started to post the other day about its sensitivity to movement of the tiller and should have. I nearly fell out once and that was just with the 5 hp tohatsu! Takes a bit to get used to it--it's a sports car :D I put a cooler in front of the grab rail and sit to steer. No standing for me when underway, but then I'm 71 and don't have the balance I once had. Be a little careful and have a lot of fun! ALWAYS have the kill switch on. The time I nearly fell out I had forgotten to attach it 8O Don't be me.

Dougster
I learned my lesson about the kill switch and life vest... in the excitement and nerves of the moment, I forgot to put on both... 8O

Luckily, I hadn't taken off yet and my dad reminded me.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

cape man wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:27 pm Oh Hell Yes! Awesome job! Bet she scared you! Get someone to take a video of you screaming by. Be careful... 8)
Oh I was very scared!!! My dad said it looked like I was going to puke or pass out the whole time :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That is great AG!!!! Jeff