SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by Fuzz »

The bottom looks great! Are you sure this is your first boat :doh:

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Got the primer on over the weekend and it turned out really good. 2 coats got the job done. Here's the picture.
IMG-4401.jpg

Tried my first coat of topside paint tonight and it did not go well..... I think the paint was too thin so it didn't seem to apply well and it has some fish eyes... How do I know when I've thinned the paint enough for roll & tip? Here's a photo of coat 1.
IMG-4408.jpg
I will be doing a 2nd coat for sure, maybe a third so I should be able to fix it up.

cape man

Post by cape man »

What paint are you using?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

It is not uncommon for the first coat of paint to have some issues. Most of the issues are fairly easy to resolve in subsequent coatings. Generally it is better to have multiple thin coats than fewer thick coats. Thinner coats don’t cover as well and are more susceptible to issues relating to dust and other surface contaminants as well as the thinner ratio.

The solution is dependent on what type of paint you are using.

Often the problem relates to how you prepared the surface prior to painting, whether you cleaned it off or not and what was used to clean the surface. Sometimes it has to do with the paint not being adequately mixed. Thinner ratio as mentioned can also be a factor as many manufacturers recommend a thinner ratio for spraying, not for rolling and tipping.

Give us a little more info. What paint? What surface prep? A few close-up pictures of areas of concern or paint defects.

Your project is looking good and your mailing excellent progress. I’ve got no doubt that you will resolve this quickly.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Thanks for the help! I’m using Interlux bright side paint.

To prep the surface, I sanded the primer with 320 grit. Then I vacuumed and used the air compressor to get the dust out of the boat. After that, I used a slightly damp wash cloth to wipe the boat down and remove any remaining dust particles.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Here are some closer photos. There are a lot of places where the paint left circles of primer (I think some people have called these fish eyes in the past) and the paint seems very thin, primer showing through in a lot of places.
4F303F65-1E61-40EA-AE7C-EB25C245FE4C.jpeg
BE767ED2-C81A-4640-9A3E-5819E844E60D.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I had a tough time with my top coat. I used Total Boat one part and it seemed very hard to get it thin enough to apply easily yet thick enough to cover at all. It also dried very slowly so it took a long time to get a few coats on, like literally a month. I would apply a coat, wait 4-5 days for a hard enough cure for sanding, and then sand, vacum, clean, let dry, then paint, wait, sand, vacum, clean, let dry etc. After a few coats the coverage issues went away and I suspect you'll find the same. It felt like I took off the whole first coat with sanding. 8O . So my point is, really, don't get discouraged, and don't be in a hurry. It'll work out if you keep at it and keep the surface prepped correctly. I ultimately stopped cleaning with solvents as I kept reading that this or that solvent could be doing more harm then good. I just used a clean, damp lint-free towel.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

I used Interlux Bright side for the topsides of my boat. I had the same circle problems on the first coat. For the second coat I wet sanded and cleaned the surface with a vacuum and a wet rag only , no solvents. I used less reducer for paint for the second and third coat and I didn’t get the circles and the paint flowed better after tipping. I used Interlux 2333N to reduce the paint.
Hope this helps, your boat is looking great.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

AggieGirl wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 am Thanks for the help! I’m using Interlux bright side paint.

To prep the surface, I sanded the primer with 320 grit. Then I vacuumed and used the air compressor to get the dust out of the boat. After that, I used a slightly damp wash cloth to wipe the boat down and remove any remaining dust particles.
Sanding and using the Air Compressor are definitely good practices. You said you wiped off with a damp cloth, does this mean damp with water? The last thing I do before applying paint is to wipe the surface with a microfiber cloth and some Denatured Alcohol. Best to wipe down 2-3 times, using a new cloth each time. Once the surface is clean be sure not to touch it with your hands. Your hands have oils that can cause issues with the paint.

Good luck!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl »

Thanks everybody.. I used a combo of all the advice and the second coat definitely turned out better!! Here's a picture.
IMG-4413.jpg
The deck is super slick so I ordered Interlux's no slip compound for the third coat of white. Going to paint the sides over the next few days while I am waiting on the shipping. I can't believe this project is wrapping up... super excited.