Page 1 of 1

Favorite boating hat

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:29 am
by BrianC
I’m following the lead of Glossieblack and Cape Man on keeping the sun at bay — no Bimini top for my build
glossieblack wrote: Underway, nothing beats a broad-rimmed-chin-strapped hat. At anchor, an adjustable umbrella is superior.
So now I’m looking for hat recommendations. All the ones I have now fold up when cruising 20-25 MPH and blow off, leaving me strangled by the strap.

Re: Favorite boating hat

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:14 pm
by Jaysen
I look for the cheap ones at my grocery store then buy all the ones that fit my cranium and have the following features.
1. Snaps on brim both sides (makes it stiffer in the wind)
2. Has a elastic cord head band adjustment
3. Has ventilation panels
4. Has neck flap that is NOT part of the liner (sits off the head a bit)

I find them for $us9 to $us25. Columbia makes a solid version for $30 but I hate watching them float away.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm
by terrulian
I actually know a few very experienced sailors who don't wear hats. I'm unclear as to their planet of origin.
I wear a baseball cap. If it's real windy, I tighten the strap. If it's raining, I put the hood up on my foulies.
HOWEVER, since childhood I've always wanted a Sou'wester, and this year I finally got two. The first is plastic, but the second is actual oilskin. Both have nice, warm, flannel linings that cover your ears. I haven't worn either of them at sea yet but I will tell you that in walks in the rain, they give you more comfort, more peripheral vision, and no water goes down your neck at all.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:20 pm
by lelandtampa

eBay. Typed in Asian conical hat. 2 for 16 bucks.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:04 pm
by silentneko
I'll be buying one of these soon. My buddy turned me on to them. They are kind of like a Tilley, but they have a stiff plastic part sewn into the front brim so it won't flip up at speed.

https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/sun-hats

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 am
by terrulian
This is another good way to go if you're in the tropics: