FS14 new build - South Shore MA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 new build - South Shore MA

Post by pee wee »

Nelly wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:51 am

Working on installing cleats for the sole. Doing this even in areas which will be under the benches - I’m assuming you don’t want to leave foam-filled areas uncovered, even if they’re under a bench seat, etc. Is this overkill or the right way to proceed?

You should cover the foam, even if it's just to provide a bottom to your storage area.

After foam goes down, we’ll put the sole down, work on the seat top, casting deck and rear area cover. That’ll mean another round of cleating….. :?

Yes.

Question - the cleats are simple rough pine 1x2 - do these need to be totally covered in epoxy? They are going to be covered with a sole and seemingly protected from any water, but I suppose moisture could work in and start to rot them eventually If not coated. Maybe I’m answering my own question.

Yes, you are! If you want the boat to last as long as possible, ALL wood should be coated in multiple coats of epoxy.

Also, the hot glue method of attaching - is this the easiest way to affix cleats to areas that are unclampable? If so - is there a good how-to on the forum on how to do this while also using thickened epoxy for the permanent attachment?

There are no un-clampable places, but there are places that are very difficult to clamp. If you go that route, apply the thickened epoxy to the cleat but leave a couple spots dry, put a good glob of hot glue on and stick it accurately to where it goes. Note: some hot glues set up quickly, some allow for movement for a few seconds after it's stuck.

If you're looking for a good example to follow, it would be hard to beat Cracker Larry. Note that he labelled all his cleats and double coated them before installation.

viewtopic.php?p=287210#p287210
Hank

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

Project is back online for summer #3 and just needs to get done. What started as a cute pandemic quarantine project is now the “get that thing the hell out of the backyard” project.

And we haven’t had good enough weather to work outdoors until the last few weeks. So here we are, trying to get across the finish line.

Question for the team- how to I strengthen the rear deck? I’ve cleated the sides but there’s just too much sag in the middle. I glassed the underside and will glass the top but I don’t think that will give it enough strength. Plans call for a batten running across for further support. No other detail or pictures provided. I’m thinking it needs a support from the deck underneath or the actual bottom of the hull. Also second guessing a hatch this big, especially with so little support beneath. I want to be able to stand on this thing. Seems the plans are really deficient in this area. I’d love to hear ideas on how people have shored this up. Thank you.
Attachments
462DCEE1-B9F8-4DD7-B079-356B927A6933.jpeg
B0EE32E1-677F-431E-8062-A375632D863C.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't have those plans, but if you want to see how other builders have addressed the area you could check their builds. Here's a photo from one:

Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I used some doug fir to make supports under my rear(and forward) deck. Mine is overly-complicated due to the openings/hatches but if you run some solid wood from the transom to your frame and around your hatch, will probably be fine. Connecting it to the stringers below will add some insurance. I considered this but ultimately did not, seems strong enough without.

viewtopic.php?t=64576&start=250
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You definately need more support under that deck, I would suggest another frame behind the opening at the minimum. That would be the starting point and then depending. walls on each end of the opening. That opening may be to wide and you may need to add a beam/wall in the opening at the half way point. You probably should as that would be one big hatch.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

Thanks for those responses. I basically used some scrap strapping to run across the underneath portion of this decking, tying it into the braces on the sides of the boat. I also am going to build some support down to the hill for either side of the motor well cutout.

Disappointing that they sell this CNC kit cut this way with no guidance on how to support this decking/hatch.
Attachments
FF88A776-94F7-4CD9-9DBE-DB2310441483.jpeg
77879017-F3F8-4AAA-BCCD-B44A82000B88.jpeg

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

Oh, and I caught a nice striper this weekend too!
Attachments
5ECE0401-2E11-46E5-A594-2183B369EA40.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great catch!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nelly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:37 pm Oh, and I caught a nice striper this weekend too!
Damn son, nice fish! Cape Cod?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:14 am
Nelly wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:37 pm Oh, and I caught a nice striper this weekend too!
Damn son, nice fish! Cape Cod?
Close, but a little further north. This was out of Scituate, MA which is about 25 miles southeast of Boston.