FS14 new build - South Shore MA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 new build - South Shore MA

Post by Jeff »

Welcome back!!! Jeff

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 pm Welcome back! I love the sledgehammer, the perfect tool to persuade some trailer springs into position!
That mini sledge is very handy, let me tell you!

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

Question for the group - I'm thinking about the stringers, frames, seat tops, decking etc. I know the stringers and frames are glassed to the hull, but how much of that surface area needs to be either 1) coated in epoxy or 2) coated in epoxy AND covered in a layer of glass? So, for instance, with a bench top or deck (which we plan to put down over stringers) - are these just painted with a 2-part paint, or do they need to be epoxy covered, or do they need a layer of glass? Not sure how extensively these need coating/protection from the elements.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nelly wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 am Question for the group - I'm thinking about the stringers, frames, seat tops, decking etc. I know the stringers and frames are glassed to the hull, but how much of that surface area needs to be either 1) coated in epoxy or 2) coated in epoxy AND covered in a layer of glass? So, for instance, with a bench top or deck (which we plan to put down over stringers) - are these just painted with a 2-part paint, or do they need to be epoxy covered, or do they need a layer of glass? Not sure how extensively these need coating/protection from the elements.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
It's a great question and often debated. Many feel that every surface needs to be glassed to avoid checking, jaques does not feel this way, ironically. I glassed all my exposed surfaces to protect against dents that could lead to intrusion, mostly. Many/most/all here will tell you that all surfaces HAVE to be epoxy coated at least, though the author of one of my lapstrake boat-building books disagrees and only likes to seal the edges of plywood, feeling that intrusion is inevitable and non-epoxied surfaces are far easier to repair and don't trap water like encapsulated panels do.

So I feel it's personal choice, weighing effort/cost/risk, much like the foam/no foam debate.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I am of the "seal everything in epoxy and put glass over the exposed sides that may get dinged with an anchor or other heavy object" crowd. I also glassed the stringers and bulkheads to the bottom of the hull. Doesn't cost that much more given everything else you are doing, and will make her last much longer and without worries.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I want fiberglass on all exposed surfaces. I have found that using glass strand in an epoxy mix gives all other surfaces greater protection from water intrusion. It is only $5.85 a lb. and used at 25% per mix adds strength also. Use it to coat all the surfaces not covered by fiberglass. It is in the store. If you don't use it make sure you cover every thing with epoxy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I am also of the opinion of coating in epoxy as a minimum requirement. I’ve built five boats in the last 6 years and everyone of them, no matter the size, had every piece of marine plywood completely coated in epoxy, most with multiple coats, and most every exposed surface covered in at least 4 oz cloth. They are all holding up well despite many bumps along the way.

Nelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nelly »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm I want fiberglass on all exposed surfaces. I have found that using glass strand in an epoxy mix gives all other surfaces greater protection from water intrusion. It is only $5.85 a lb. and used at 25% per mix adds strength also. Use it to coat all the surfaces not covered by fiberglass. It is in the store. If you don't use it make sure you cover every thing with epoxy.

Tom
If mixing in glass strand with the epoxy - can that still be rolled or brushed or does it need to be handled and applied differently? It must the thicker than straight epoxy but wondering how difficult that makes it to apply across larger surfaces (thinking bench-tops, decking, etc.). Thanks.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

It must feel good to be making progress again! Glass and hull shape look great.
Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Nelly,

Let me preface my response by saying that everyone has their own way of doing things, no way is wrong or right, it is simply what works for them. I personally do not like mixing in chopped strand into my epoxy. I find it more difficult to spread neatly. If I am going to cover decking, seats, or the sole I prefer to cover with some lightweight woven cloth (6 oz. or 10 oz.). I don't over-saturate the cloth and in the end I am left with a nice uniform surface that I can fair very easily.

Good luck!
-Reid
Nelly wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:48 pm
TomW1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm I want fiberglass on all exposed surfaces. I have found that using glass strand in an epoxy mix gives all other surfaces greater protection from water intrusion. It is only $5.85 a lb. and used at 25% per mix adds strength also. Use it to coat all the surfaces not covered by fiberglass. It is in the store. If you don't use it make sure you cover every thing with epoxy.

Tom
If mixing in glass strand with the epoxy - can that still be rolled or brushed or does it need to be handled and applied differently? It must the thicker than straight epoxy but wondering how difficult that makes it to apply across larger surfaces (thinking bench-tops, decking, etc.). Thanks.
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright