Building an XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

Posted some picture in the gallary.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=210

I strayed some from the nesting plans. I wanted to get the butt block seams under the seats for a cleaner look. Also made the centerline butt block the full width between the stringer. That will eliminate the splice hump down the center of the boat.

More pics later.
Last edited by gpratt on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boo »

gpratt

Sweeeeeeet !!!!

Steve

Boo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boo »

g

Had a fellow mention He might be interested in having you build a XF 20 for him . I'll see about firming it up with him before everyone jumps you to build one for them .

As light as this boat is it has to get up like a helicopter and run on dew !!!!!!

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

Boo

Check the albums for new pics. Finished getting the sides glued up tonight. Transoms ready to install. Should start looking like a boat this weekend.

breammaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CPR required ASAP... :o)

Post by breammaster »

Hi guys...

Well the plans arrived last Friday and a week later I turned the hull for the inside fitout...

You yankees don't like making things easy for us vegemite kids do u ???

Hahahahaha

Anyway, got busy in the last week and pumped out a hull... I tried to keep as many photo's for those thinking of building an XF20....

Great plans, and YES, I lifted the freeboard to a more suitable (heavy weather) height...

Jacques... Thankyou for your efforts in providing a great set of plans...

Australia Post... Sorry for forcing the early retirement of one of your delivery officers...

Everyone remember the movie "Field of Dreams" ???

If you build it he will come !!!

Well the sequel is called "Ordering Plans From Overseas"

I bought the plywood, cloth and resin upfront, and if the postie didn't bring those "bloody" plans in the mail Friday, "If he hasn't got them, he will DIE !!!"

Needless to say Kevin Costner and I have agreed on an out of court settlement and the project moved onwards for Saturday AM...

Pictures are in the gallery for those interested...

Cheers...

Warren... :P :P :P
Pity the man who pays twice as much, for an inferi

markhoutx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by markhoutx »

Warren, I'd like to take a peak at your pictures, but I can't find them in the Gallery - which I find very difficult to use. What name are they under? Warren? Breammaster? (Neither of these worked when I searched the gallery).

breammaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey there...

Post by breammaster »

Just converting all my files into JPEG's Mark... Just uploading them all now... Hope they are of some help...

It's under Warrens XF20.........

They are the latest pics to be uploaded.

Warren. :)

Boo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boo »

Warren

You working day and night on that project ? You'll be tearing up the bream with it before you know it ! Looking good !

( Dumb Question )--Do you have gar in your country and if so have you ever fished the gar spawn ?

Steve

breammaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hehe...

Post by breammaster »

No Steve,

The quick progress was a result of a casual week of holidays I had taken to put a big dent in the project.

Plans arrived in Friday's mail which I collected around 7pm...

Slept in on Saturday morning, did some shopping and got started on plotting out the plans around 2pm. Here's a big tip for those trying to get started... The plans are perfect for 8' x 4' sheets. Try and source these sheets if possible (if in Australia we have some british marine ply available at the moment that is half the price of the local hoop pine version).

To get yourself rolling, buy a big builders square from your local hardware store (like a big metal L), and start plotting out your bottom sheets. These are the easiest to do, and a big part of the project.

Mark out your 610mm increments (this means that four sections fit a sheet) and use your square to draw a line the entire width of the plywood. Then grab 5 nails and jump on the other side of the sheet with your plans, a measuring tape, a hammer and start measuring. Find the half width of your transom and bang a nail in about 5mm from the edge. Then move across to the next 610mm line and find your next measurment, bang with a nail, and so on until you reach the other end of the sheet which gets a nail 5mm inside the edge at the 5th measurement. Get your batten and clamp it at each end and then bend around the nails. Draw off your line and you have your profile.

But to save even more time, cut the profile with your circular saw on that first sheet (after taking out the nails...duh !!!), and get another fresh sheet on the saw horses. Lay your "just cut" template on top and clamp at the two square corners after checking for alignment. Get your circular saw, drop the blade to around 25mm (more than double the thickness of two sheets) and use the first sheet as a template for cutting your second profile. No drawing, no square edges, no measuring...

STITCH AND GLUE DOES NOT REQUIRE PERFECT EDGES. IF YOU APPRECIATE FINE WOODWORK, GO AND BUILD A SPICE RACK...hehehe !!!

Follow this same process and I can guarantee you will have your bottom panels cut out within an hour... Great start and if the wind isn't in your sails by now, you need to start concentrating on building boats in little bottles... hehe :o)

I need a beer now after all that typing so I'll be back in a minute.

Warren.

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend »

Boo wrote:g

Had a fellow mention He might be interested in having you build a XF 20 for him . I'll see about firming it up with him before everyone jumps you to build one for them .

As light as this boat is it has to get up like a helicopter and run on dew !!!!!!
If Pratt doesn't have the time tell him to give me a call or e'mail mail me at attownsend@bellsouth.net. Evild.
Last edited by attownsend on Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild