Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work wwsmith!!! Jeff

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thank you.

Cape Man, which model solas did you go with?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I'll check.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

HR Titan by Solas.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

WW get me the weight of the boat as you leave the dock. That is finished hull, people and gear I usually use 250lbs for this unless you have a bait well, T-top or other heavy permanently mounted things. and then miscellaneous this is your carry on stuff, life jackets, fishing gear, coolers, drinks, food, ice, etc. What you are trying to get for me is the weight of the boat as it leaves the dock. I am familiar with the Solas props so can prop you for one of the HR Titans 4 blades I will also prop you for the Power Tech triple cup 4 blade and let you decide,.

Please don't go in an let the dealer just throw a prop on your boat. It will be wrong as they are use to dealing with heavy plastic boats 1000;s of lbs. more than yours. And unless he offers free exchanges you can spend several hundred dollars over what you need to. Power Tech will let you exchange for $75. Solas depends on the dealer.

I have looked at Mercury props and there are two that might work the Revolution 4 and the Spitfire X7. They have the range of pitch that you will be need to be in.

cape man does not have a tunnel while another FS builder do and use the PT triple cup. Several others with the tunnels use the triple cup.

Well I hopes that helps you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thank you Cape Man and Tom. Yes this is helpful.

I have another question - can anyone make a good recommendation for and insurance company? Geico insures my LM18 but they told me they dropped homemade boats and that my current policy is grandfathered. Need to find someone new for the new boat and would appreciate any leads.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wwsmith wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:09 pm Thank you Cape Man and Tom. Yes this is helpful.

I have another question - can anyone make a good recommendation for and insurance company? Geico insures my LM18 but they told me they dropped homemade boats and that my current policy is grandfathered. Need to find someone new for the new boat and would appreciate any leads.
A lot of guys are having the same problem. I would try asking up in Anything Else with a new category Insurance and see if anyone responds. You might also contact Boat USA to see if they have any suggestions.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have a policy with Castle Key that my agent found.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Great - thanks. I'll try them.

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

The boat is rigged. Hope to pick up tomorrow for use over the holiday weekend. They test ran it and reported good handling and a top end of 42 MPH with 35 gallons of fuel and two adults. For all of those who encouraged me not to go larger than a 115, I owe you a beer. The advice was much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg