Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by Jeff »

WOW wwsmith, she looks great!!!! Excellent work on your part!! 42 is really fast!! You guys be safe this weekend!! Jeff

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

She's a beast! What a beauty. We definitely need some action videos or pics. Enjoy her.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Wow ww that is a beast and a beauty. :D Nice 4 blade prop should get you up and out fast. Let me know what your numbers are to make sure you have the right one. Dealers tend to not take into account how light Jacques boats are. I do not know what the Merc's break in will limit you to this week end so don't push it. But as you get it broken in then get in touch with me.

Have a great weekend and hope you catch a ton of fish.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Thanks, Guys. Yes, hoping to get some photos this weekend. Will post next week if all goes well.

Hope you all get out on the water over the break.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

WOW!!! That is an awesome looking boat!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Boat ran good, but definitely not 42 mph like the dealer reported. We were more heavily loaded than they were, but still, 32 MPH was more accurate. One time we crossed another wake and the tunnel lost its prime and we instantly gained 5 mpg. That took us to about 36 mph at 5000-5200 rpm. The motor tops out in around 6000-6300 rpm so if we had pushed it, we might have gotten into the 40's. Regardless, under normal conditions with water in the tunnel, low/mid 30's is a more accurate number.

We'll be trying some different props. The current one feels like it slips. That'll be the project over the next month or so.

Ride quality is much better than expected, draft is 6" at most. We tried to cross a wide sand bar that was 5" deep, but shut it down half way though because it was bogging down more than I liked. Once we get the prop right and add a low water pick-up, I bet we'll be able to cross it. Wound have been no issue with a softer bottom. Even when sitting on the sandbar, it was easy to walk the boat off of it.

We got so caught up fishing and having fun that I forgot to take photos on the water. Attached the only one that I took. Caught limits of nice reds on first trip out, so we're off to a good start.

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day.
Attachments
IMG_0987.jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Caught limits of nice reds on first trip out, so we're off to a good start.
Best part of the report! Boat looks like she belongs there.

Sounds like you are over-pitched on the prop and maybe by quite a bit. You should hit the lower limits of the max rpm with a light load. Even with losing the prime in the tunnel you had 1000 rpms to go. The rule of thumb is you should get 300-400 rpms for each 2" of pitch reduction. From the side it looks like the prop has a very aggressive pitch. Will the dealer let you swap it out?

My dealer will let you swap out a prop as long as you don't mar it at all. I got lucky and the one we picked was right for me the first time. With just me on board I am turning 6000 rpms at WOT.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Duplicate
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wwsmith wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:59 am Boat ran good, but definitely not 42 mph like the dealer reported. We were more heavily loaded than they were, but still, 32 MPH was more accurate. One time we crossed another wake and the tunnel lost its prime and we instantly gained 5 mpg. That took us to about 36 mph at 5000-5200 rpm. The motor tops out in around 6000-6300 rpm so if we had pushed it, we might have gotten into the 40's. Regardless, under normal conditions with water in the tunnel, low/mid 30's is a more accurate number.

We'll be trying some different props. The current one feels like it slips. That'll be the project over the next month or so.

Ride quality is much better than expected, draft is 6" at most. We tried to cross a wide sand bar that was 5" deep, but shut it down half way though because it was bogging down more than I liked. Once we get the prop right and add a low water pick-up, I bet we'll be able to cross it. Wound have been no issue with a softer bottom. Even when sitting on the sandbar, it was easy to walk the boat off of it.

We got so caught up fishing and having fun that I forgot to take photos on the water. Attached the only one that I took. Caught limits of nice reds on first trip out, so we're off to a good start.

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day.

ww instead of you willy-nilly trying different props and having to pay for them, let me work up what you need on my prop calculators. Unless your dealer lets you swap them out for free. I know you have the Merc 115 is it the regular or CT, the gear ratios are different, it sort of looks like you have the CT. Then weight of the boat as it sits at the dock with passengers and there gear as your ready to pull out. Also would you let me know which Merc name, prop diameter and pitch you have on it now.

I decided to have some fun this afternoon, sitting watching the Mississippi flow by from our cabin in Iowa, and see what I could come up with for you. So working with my calculators, and using 2425lbs for your boat all in until I get your real numbers, if you want. Then using the Merc 115CT 2.38 gear case. One came up with a 14 x 21 prop the other with a 14 x 21 prop. Max speed in the low 40's.(41-43), with a four blade prop.

Now remember that is without the disruption of the tunnel that Jacques always discusses when he talks about tunnels. So your actual top speed will be slightly slower than that.

You also mention a lower water take up. Do not worry about that as long as the prop is not cavitating as you raise it. The motor has plenty of water coming in to cool it.

Regards, Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great report and beautiful boat wwsmith!!!