Texas Flats Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Texas Flats Boat

Post by wwsmith »

Hello All - first attempt at a post here. I'd like to thank you all for the posts and helpful info on the forum. Have enjoyed watching and learning from your projects.

I was introduced to BBC about 18 months ago by a friend. Built a LM18 in spring 2019 and have really enjoyed fishing out of it. It's great for 2-3 people but I often find that means one or two get left behind, so planning to attempt a second, larger boat that can accommodate the whole family when needed.

The plan is to build something similar to a shallow sport classic or new water ibis. Flat top boat with no sides. Photo of shallow sport attached. Intending to use the XF22 as the base design. In the current draft of the design, I have widened the boat 5" and shown a raised, level casting area on bow. I'd love input from XF20, XF22, of XFTS19 owners on the dimension to use at the transom (see elevation for dimension in question). Hoping for the boat to sit low like the shallow sport. Currently, I have drawn the stations so that this final dimension will be 13 1/2". That is based on info from measuring other boats (new water and mowdy) and numbers I've seen from your boats. Have not been able to find a classic to measure so if you happen to have access to one, would appreciate a measurement there. Since many of your boats draft in 5" in or so, it seems like 13 1/2" may be too tall, but I'd hate to get this all together only to find the boat is too low.

Planning for a 115 HP depending on how the weight turns about. Had good luck keeping the weight down on the LM18 and will be making an effort to do the same here.

Thanks again for all the information on the forum. Hope to get to a point where I can contribute as you all have. Will attempt to post photos of LM18, the junior anglers who helped with the build and progress plans of new boat.
Attachments
Shallow sport example.jpg
Shallow sport example.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG
S-1.pdf
(74.95 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
S-2.pdf
(67.48 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
S-3.pdf
(64.39 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Texas Flats Boat

Post by wwsmith »

It looks like the shallow sport photo and pdfs of current plans didn't go through. Might need some coaching on what I should do differently there.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great looking kids and LM18!!! Jeff

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Posting these photos for wwsimth.
shallow sport example1.JPG
shallow sport example1.JPG (88.73 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
s-1.JPG
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Put together a stand/jig on over the weekend. Used Colemanfire's example for the previous build, and it worked well. This is basically a larger version of that. I kept the stand from the LM18 and put a sheet of plywood on it for a mobile work bench (the one in the back of the photo). Has come in very handy for lots of different projects.

Plywood being delivered this week. Reid, I like the shipping app they use. Seems to work well.
Attachments
IMG_9066.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks like your order arrived at the Destination Terminal today!! I look forward to the build!! Jeff

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Whit,

AAA Cooper has really done a nice job with their text alert system!

I got to say, you are probably making a lot of people jealous (including me) by showing off that nice pole barn!

Keep us posted on the progress, I am looking forward to it!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Supplies arrived in good shape. You guys did a great job with the packaging. Hope to cut a few frames this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_9093.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great organization of your marine plywood wwsmith!! We really look forward to watching your build!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeff wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am Great organization of your marine plywood wwsmith!! We really look forward to watching your build!!! Jeff
I thought that was the way you guys shipped big plywood orders Jeff...Customer service all the way off the lift gate to the pole barn!!
I know you guys set the bar really high, but that is way over the top!!! :lol: :lol:

Very nice looking Plywood sheet storage wwsmith. I may make me one too.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne