FS17 - July 27, 2020 - Narfi's Build

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 - July 27, 2020 - Narfi's Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Have had family visiting last 1.5 weeks so have had the fs17 out a few times.
Over 1100lbs of people and dog + cooler of sausages and smores and drinks + full fuel @wot = 29mph on smooth water (momma still prefers 24ish which is easier on the fuel anyways)
Still handles great in rough water but slowed down quite a bit to keep everyone somewhat comfortable.

Bought a 2 person towable inflatable and pulled Landon around a bit with it, the boat doesn't seem to know its there. Slight learning curve for me, if I start slow the floaty digs in but if I start quick it pops up and does fine. (probably obvious to anyone that has done it before, but I hadn't :) )

Finally got a functional chart on the plotter. I had bought Navionics Alaska Lakes charts last year for an exorbitant amount of money and they didn't even show our lake which is big enough to see on a desktop globe, just showed me boating around in large swaths of yellow land :/ After lots of back and forth with their tech support over a 3-4 month period they finally refunded my money.

After much struggling with doing it wrong and researching and trying over and over, I have figured out the process which is actually quite simple once you understand it for creating your own charts with google satellite images (or any publicly available charts) using all free/public domain software. I was struggling for a while with about a 750ft offset, but got that figured out last night and now when powered on my plotter shows my boat sitting right in my yard where it is and all my paths on the lake go to the exact locations on the beaches and launch spots we have been.

I am quite happy :)
You literally never cease to amaze.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 - July 27, 2020 - Narfi's Build

Post by TomW1 »

narfi wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Have had family visiting last 1.5 weeks so have had the fs17 out a few times.
Over 1100lbs of people and dog + cooler of sausages and smores and drinks + full fuel @wot = 29mph on smooth water (momma still prefers 24ish which is easier on the fuel anyways)
Still handles great in rough water but slowed down quite a bit to keep everyone somewhat comfortable.

Bought a 2 person towable inflatable and pulled Landon around a bit with it, the boat doesn't seem to know its there. Slight learning curve for me, if I start slow the floaty digs in but if I start quick it pops up and does fine. (probably obvious to anyone that has done it before, but I hadn't :) )

Finally got a functional chart on the plotter. I had bought Navionics Alaska Lakes charts last year for an exorbitant amount of money and they didn't even show our lake which is big enough to see on a desktop globe, just showed me boating around in large swaths of yellow land :/ After lots of back and forth with their tech support over a 3-4 month period they finally refunded my money.

After much struggling with doing it wrong and researching and trying over and over, I have figured out the process which is actually quite simple once you understand it for creating your own charts with google satellite images (or any publicly available charts) using all free/public domain software. I was struggling for a while with about a 750ft offset, but got that figured out last night and now when powered on my plotter shows my boat sitting right in my yard where it is and all my paths on the lake go to the exact locations on the beaches and launch spots we have been.

I am quite happy :)
Good deal Narfi that will allow you a lot of freedom.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978