Skoota 18 Build Question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skoota 18 Build Question

Post by Reid »

This is a question that has come in from a potential builder, Bob from Vancouver Island:

Hello
I am interested in the Skoota 18 ft. I live on Vancouver Island in western Canada and would like to use it as a fishing boat. I usually fish close to shore but occasionally venture 1 or 2 kilometers off shore.
I assume the cockpit is self draining. Would I be safe in assuming that this vessel with the right skipper would be as seaworthy as the average 18 ft. mono-hull?

I currently use a 19.5 ft aluminum hull with a semi-deep V and would like something at least a seaworthy as that. It is time to replace the boat and I am super impressed with the efficiency of the Skoota line.

I would consider the 20 ft but I trailer the boat for fishing trips daily and would be afraid that some of the launches wouldn't be deep enough to just back the trailer in.

Thank you
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Skoota 18 Build Question

Post by fallguy1000 »

Reid wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 am This is a question that has come in from a potential builder, Bob from Vancouver Island:

Hello
I am interested in the Skoota 18 ft. I live on Vancouver Island in western Canada and would like to use it as a fishing boat. I usually fish close to shore but occasionally venture 1 or 2 kilometers off shore.
I assume the cockpit is self draining. Would I be safe in assuming that this vessel with the right skipper would be as seaworthy as the average 18 ft. mono-hull?

I currently use a 19.5 ft aluminum hull with a semi-deep V and would like something at least a seaworthy as that. It is time to replace the boat and I am super impressed with the efficiency of the Skoota line.

I would consider the 20 ft but I trailer the boat for fishing trips daily and would be afraid that some of the launches wouldn't be deep enough to just back the trailer in.

Thank you
The Skoota 18 and all catamarans are all safe to 110% of beam. This means you would be safe in 9 footers. That is a big sea capable of flipping any monohull of similar beam.

However, a monohull can be made to right; a cat cannot. Now, that said, most monohulls you would build will not self right!

The Skoota 18 is a really nice looking boat. It would get the operator up higher than a traditional monohull. I'd love to see it built.

I am building the Skoota 32 demountable.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495