Help idenitfying prop shaft collar

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Help idenitfying prop shaft collar

Post by VT_Jeff »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:56 am Tom is correct but I called that a shaft balancer.
Thanks Jaques. Now when I ignore it I'll know what I'm ignoring.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:56 am Tom is correct but I called that a shaft balancer.
Use caution when ignoring. A balancer is used to offset rotational masses (think wheel weights). If you have an unbalanced rotational mass you are stressing the bearings and support structure (think wheels). If you have a prop or shaft that is unbalanced you could end up with some shakes and shimmies that are unpleasant or that lead to premature wear.

Or it could be fine...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am
Use caution when ignoring. A balancer is used to offset rotational masses (think wheel weights). If you have an unbalanced rotational mass you are stressing the bearings and support structure (think wheels). If you have a prop or shaft that is unbalanced you could end up with some shakes and shimmies that are unpleasant or that lead to premature wear.

Or it could be fine...
yeah, it'll probably be fine. It's always had a vibration at certain RPM's and always been smooth at others, so I just use the smooth ones and stay away from the rough ones. Barring a real issue, it's going to remain ignored.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You could pull the prop and have it balanced. I’ve been told that most of the time it is the prop that needs tweaked.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I am now ignoring this thread... 8) :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:22 pm I am now ignoring this thread... 8) :lol:
Seems like the right plan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I would respond but then it would be proof that I am not totally ignoring this thread... which I am... well maybe. :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:55 pm I would respond but then it would be proof that I am not totally ignoring this thread... which I am... well maybe. :roll:
Reminds of a few years back when my kids kept yelling at each other “I’M NOT TALKING TO YOU” for about 300mi non stop. Mile 301 they walked out of the Waffle House to an empty parking space. I was just as shocked as they were. When she finally came back no one was saying anything to anyone (in actual silence this time).

Oddly we’ve never had that particular problem a second time.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Did you just threaten to delete this thread? :lol: I come back here and it's gone? :lol:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:16 pm You could pull the prop and have it balanced. I’ve been told that most of the time it is the prop that needs tweaked.
This is a solution looking for a problem. I currently have plenty of problems without solutions, so there's no need to start working in reverse. If that changes, your advice will take priority. :lol: :lol: :lol: