MG20 center console

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

MG20 center console

Post by Rogerogrant »

Hey y'all!

Ok, this may end up being more of an exercise in daydreaming than something that actually happens, but with Jacques blessing I'm going to work on adapting the MG20 to a center console layout.
I have the digital download plans, and the bow mold doesn't have dimensions as it was originally done full sized. I could probably figure them out based in the assumption that the short side of the right angle butts up against the A frame and is the same 26 inch height as that frame.
But I'm wondering if perhaps Jacques or BarraMan (Lee) could give me the actual numbers. I'd surely appreciate it. :D
I'll continue to post my efforts to this thread as I get it drawn up!

-Patrick

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MG20 center console

Post by jacquesmm »

I"ll draw it for you. Give me a couple hours.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Awesome!! Thanks so much Jacques.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Rogerogrant wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:06 amHey y'all!
Ok, this may end up being more of an exercise in daydreaming than something that actually happens, but with Jacques blessing I'm going to work on adapting the MG20 to a center console layout.
YES !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I, and all of my fishing mates luv my Mangusta hull and I am sure you will too!

Not much to work on really - just make it up as you go along like I did! :D If you look at my build you can see what I did - then just put the console in the centre rather than the side.
I have the digital download plans, and the bow mold doesn't have dimensions as it was originally done full sized. I could probably figure them out based in the assumption that the short side of the right angle butts up against the A frame and is the same 26 inch height as that frame.
But I'm wondering if perhaps Jacques or BarraMan (Lee) could give me the actual numbers. I'd surely appreciate it. :D
I'll continue to post my efforts to this thread as I get it drawn up!
Stdby - I maybe able to beat Jacques to it. I used a bow mold with metric plans - must have got the dimensions from somewhere!

The numbers are metric (ie centimeters 1 inch = 2.54 cm). Ignore the numbers in brackets - they are my upscaled 10% dimensions.

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Woo hoo!! Thanks so much BarraMan!
I’m going to draw her up and post pictures to get everyones’ feedback on the layout. Stay tuned!!

-pt

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Hey y'all,
Started playing around with the design. Below are some pictures of how I'm thinking about approaching the sheer. I want to make as few modifications to Jacques' design as possible, but opening the MG20 up does require a little bit of reworking the way the sheer is set up.
As designed the sheer is sort of beveled inward between the transom and station C (the location of the dual consoles). Forward of that is the cambered deck a bit lower. I just straightened that "bevel" up and carried it forward all the way to the bow. Obviously this adds some material, but I like the idea of getting a little extra freeboard out of the deal. Having said that I'm a little iffy on the reverse nature of the sheer line (that is, the way it dips down at the bow). I like the way it looks - kind of keeping with that "sporty" vibe - but it could obviously spell trouble in heavy following seas. Basically the opposite of a Caorlina flare...
Jacques, is that an acceptable way to modify things?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

No problem: you can do what you want at the sheer as long as you keep the framing. Aesthetic changes do not matter.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Awesome! Thanks Jacques!

I made that sheer reversal a little less dramatic and I think I like it better:

The way I've drawn the model is to draw the half frames from the plans, then just "connected the dots" on them to create the sheer, chine, and keel curves, then lofted between those curves. I wouldn't actually use those for measurements - just did it for visualization purposes - and would stick with the long panel dimensions on the plans. That new sheer is, however, a new panel based on the way that I did it. It's in pink below:

I'd honestly rather send you the model plus whatever you'd charge, Jacques, to generate the numbers for that new panel, but I understand if you don't want to deal with that. 8)
If I select that panel and use the "flattensrf" commend in Rhino, does that give me the correct lines from which to take dimensions? Here's what that looks like:

Thanks so much Jacques!

Rogerogrant
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rogerogrant »

Ok, after farting around with it, I've landed on a pretty traditional center console layout. That layout evolved into what it is for a reason, after all. I'm not facile enough with Rhino to really draw things very well, so the console and windscreen and so forth are just sort of reference shapes. I'm still pondering what's going to be happening at the transom. The colored lines are the stations/frames.

Let me know what y'all think!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rogerogrant what is the distance between the frame at the console and the next frame where you slope the sides down. It looks to be 8-10 feet which would mean you should have a frame between the two. Especially as that will will be where you will be hitting when you come down off a wave. Any thing less than 5 feet really needs reinforcement. Maybe you just did not show that frame? Love the way the boat is going! :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978