Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by fallguy1000 »

No. I was asking about your aircraft.

Any ndt requirements?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

No, the plans are from one of the most popular 'families' of plans as far as homebuilt aluminum aircraft go. The designer is quite reputable and has 100s or 1000s of similar aircraft built designed by him.

http://www.zenithair.com/gif1/ch-design-history-big.gif

The plane I am building is called the 750 Super Duty. It is the evolution/hybrid of the 801 and the 750STOL. It is basically a 750 stol fuselage with extended wings and an 801 tail and bigger engine. Both of those planes have been quite successful and they have been selling the super duty as a cnc match drilled kit for several years and all the ones finished so far are flying successfully.

The designer created the plans with the amature builder in mind so has a safety factor margin of error for construction built in. (Much like jacques does for our boats here)

The certified planes I work on for my day job do occasionally have ndt inspection requirements as the general aviation fleet gets older. Aluminum planes built in the 60s and 70s still flying years after their life expectancy.. some with over 20,000 hours so the metal has seen a lot in it's 50+ years in harsh enviroments.

We are rebuilding one now from the 30s which still has most of it's original steel.(no ndt inspections required on it)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinson_Reliant

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

THANKS!

fair winds
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Their headquarters is about 2 1/2 hours from where I live and work.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Good morning Narfi, this is just a very gentle nudge for an update on your progress.
Dave

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

DAVE LUDICK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 am Good morning Narfi, this is just a very gentle nudge for an update on your progress.
Dave
Hey Dave!
I am ancy to get back to it as well, but got distracted with another project now that the weather is nice enough for epoxy.....
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65490

My son 'told' me that we should finish it before July 4th so he can show it off...... We will see, but it might be possible. Once it's done I'll be back working on the plane again.

You doing any interesting projects? It's always interesting seeing what other people are doing.
Hope you have a good one.
Narfi

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Hi Narfi, I built a GV15 for fishing the Zambezi in Zambia. I was born there, did my National Service in the army way back in '59, worked on the railways and the mines. I live in South Africa now, but waiting for an opportunity to go North to fish, but Covid is making things difficult with border crossings. I enjoy fishing and hunting, and Zambia is a paradise for those activities.
I would have liked to build the GV15 in aluminium, but I am getting too old for that sort of project now. I think my next project will be building my own casket in stitch and glue.
I love your project and follow it with interest.
Take care.

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Your 'sailboat' looks like a fun project, I am sure you and your son will get a lot of pleasure out of using it when completed.
In my my younger days, 50 years ago I built a 37ft steel yacht to dive the Indian Ocean, what a project.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

DAVE LUDICK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:04 am Hi Narfi, I built a GV15 for fishing the Zambezi in Zambia. I was born there, did my National Service in the army way back in '59, worked on the railways and the mines. I live in South Africa now, but waiting for an opportunity to go North to fish, but Covid is making things difficult with border crossings. I enjoy fishing and hunting, and Zambia is a paradise for those activities.
I would have liked to build the GV15 in aluminium, but I am getting too old for that sort of project now. I think my next project will be building my own casket in stitch and glue.
I love your project and follow it with interest.
Take care.
DAVE LUDICK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:10 am Your 'sailboat' looks like a fun project, I am sure you and your son will get a lot of pleasure out of using it when completed.
In my my younger days, 50 years ago I built a 37ft steel yacht to dive the Indian Ocean, what a project.

Sounds like an interesting life :) I would love to see a few pictures of your GV15 as well as your 37ft yacht.
The aluminum gv15 sounds fun as well, I have never learned to weld.... So hard to find time for all the things that could be fun hobbies, I have tried to narrow them down somewhat and hopefully become better at them.
I have mixed feelings on your coffin idea..... it is kind of morbid, but for the right person with the right personality, it could turn out pretty cool as a representation of who you are.

My wife and I have been dreaming of building a larger yacht to retire on, so when the plane is done and finances allow, we may be starting a larger project..... have another year or two till then though :)

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Narfi, I am the joker in our golfing 4 ball, nothing morbid about me, I have a very practical outlook on life, you have to, living in Africa.
I would love to be able to do everything still left on my wish list, but I realize some things will remain on the wish list.
Often wonder how you deal with the extreme weather in winter. I watch 'Life below Zero' and marvel at the endurance and patience of those of you living up there.
I GET grumpy when the temperature drops below 20C. When my buddies can smell from 10 metres away, I know I am operating at the right temperature.
Envious of all the wood you have available to you in some places in Alaska. I can think of so many things I could do with it here.
Your and your son are lucky to be able to do the things you do without the distractions that the youth in the cities have.
Take care and be safe.