Cat 22

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Cat 22

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Is there a diagram that shows the lengths or formations of the floor space on the Cat 22?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cat 22

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here is a link to study plans that show the layout.

Hull designs are propriatary.

https://bateau.com/studyplans/CT22_study.php?prod=CT22.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Some of the other designs show the length of the bow area, helm area and area open behind the helm for fishing. It would be nice to know a bit more of the layout measurements before shelling out the cash for the plans. I guess I’ll try to take measurements from the drawings since I know the overall length.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Kenfyoozed wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 am Some of the other designs show the length of the bow area, helm area and area open behind the helm for fishing. It would be nice to know a bit more of the layout measurements before shelling out the cash for the plans. I guess I’ll try to take measurements from the drawings since I know the overall length.
Sadly, a lot of people try splashing the plans when the designer gives a lot of detail away.

I would suggest you post a which boat question if u didn't already. Forum members enjoy giving advice; it plays to our egos.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You are asking about the cat22, the Devlin design, and the Abaco 23. Those are a wide variety of boats.

You need to first decide what the goal of the vessel is.

The cat22 and the Abaco23 are quite a bit different and it should be easy to dismiss one based on the requirements.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 am You are asking about the cat22, the Devlin design, and the Abaco 23. Those are a wide variety of boats.

The cat22 and the Abaco23 are quite a bit different and it should be easy to dismiss one based on the requirements.
Wednesday morning I inquired about the CC boats and the cabin boats thinking that would fit my family's needs best. Thursday while fishing they concluded they would prefer a wider boat that is more stable than a CC or any v hull with a cabin. I then posted twice i thought the Cat 22 would fit my needs better. So off to inquire about it I went to post questions about the CAT 22 in its own thread. I separated my questions to focus on each design so I could hone in on what is what and compare apples to apples. So if we could keep this thread on topic about the CAT 22 as the topic indicates I would appreciate this.

So far I have earned about the CAT 22.... please correct me if I am wrong...
1. Higher tunnel equals less slamming and sneezing
2. Rides more like a Shark Cat / Noosa Cat.
3. Can not be stretched any longer, even 10%.....
4. Will run with motor hp...70s, then 90s, then 115s in different threads.... but specs read 90s
5. No dimensions on layout
6. No physical evidence this design has ever been built.........which both intrigues and worries myself.

Couple of questions on the design....

1. Why does the bow narrow? Can it be built to keep the same beam from bow to stern?
2. At the gunnels is is possible to build with out the tumblehome at the top? keeping the hulls straight all the way to the top?
3. What would be the capacity of persons?

I am sure I will have more but that will do for now.... :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Kenfyoozed wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:43 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 am You are asking about the cat22, the Devlin design, and the Abaco 23. Those are a wide variety of boats.

Wednesday morning I inquired about the CC boats and the cabin boats thinking that would fit my family's needs best. Thursday while fishing they concluded they would prefer a wider boat that is more stable than a CC or any v hull with a cabin. I then posted twice i thought the Cat 22 would fit my needs better. So off to inquire about it I went to post questions about the CAT 22 in its own thread. I separated my questions to focus on each design so I could hone in on what is what and compare apples to apples. So if we could keep this thread on topic about the CAT 22 as the topic indicates I would appreciate this.

So far I have earned about the CAT 22.... please correct me if I am wrong...
1. Higher tunnel equals less slamming and sneezing
2. Rides more like a Shark Cat / Noosa Cat.
3. Can not be stretched any longer, even 10%.....
4. Will run with motor hp...70s, then 90s, then 115s in different threads.... but specs read 90s
5. No dimensions on layout
6. No physical evidence this design has ever been built.........which both intrigues and worries myself.

Couple of questions on the design....

1. Why does the bow narrow? Can it be built to keep the same beam from bow to stern?
2. At the gunnels is is possible to build with out the tumblehome at the top? keeping the hulls straight all the way to the top?
3. What would be the capacity of persons?

I am sure I will have more but that will do for now.... :D
I will answer a bit, but Mertens can do better.

1. Think centerline of each hull. The distance is the same, say 6 feet, for a crude guess. Cat hulls are narrow to cut waves; they are not like pontoons. Most pontoon is not safe in big seas because they don't cut into the seas much. Take away the taper and you introduce drag with a wider taper and tht results in a slower boat.

2. I don't see why not, but your sides need stiffness and so there must be a thickness or gunwhale depth.

3. Most catamarans have a decent ppi and the displacement less hull weight gives basic load capacity. The ppi would tell you how muchlower she'd go for each additional passenger. I won't give you a max pax, Mertens can. I would hope for 8. The listed displacement is 2650, so if the hull comes in at say 600 and fuels come in and 400 and two Engines are 600 . That gives you 1000 for pax. All theoretical. Not sure if there is room for 8 people as the cockpit looks rather small for that. Also, a catamaran and all boats have a load rating called the pounds per inch or kg per cm. This rating tells you how far the tub sinks below her lines for extra weight. My cat is 750 ppi for the whole boat, so another 750 pounds load takes her down an inch. Perhaps Jacques knows the ppi of the cat22. The abaco23 looks like you could have more people onboard. Another way to increase the passenger count would be to say drop to yamaha f70s which are ultralight at 260 each or so. But another mertens question is would she be under at 140 total hp.

Your questions are good ones. Personally, I think your abaco23 built light with a bracketed 140 is a nicer boat and I am a cat lover. I think you could make the abaco a drier ride with the shrimper? option. The cat22 will be drier by nature of the freeboard.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Also, I think the abaco23 would be even money on resale. I think the cat22 has a smaller market as ply and might lose some on resale. Just an opinion. But the Abaco23 is a popular look.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

If I wanted a boat and worried about resale I would just buy a production boat. A build is about the journey, the experience and the pride you have in the completed job.

I’m not inquiring about a boat for popular looks. Form follows function and if the form that works best for me is a Cat 22 then that will be what I will build.

If you would like to discuss what I should build please list those ideas in the thread I created about.... what I should build.

Thank you for your opinions and info. I hope more info flows in on this Cat22

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks and sorry to go off topic.

I am a bit nervous about the cockpit spaces as you seem to be as well. I could be wrong; we'll see what Mertens says.