Page 1 of 1

PX14 Question

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 am
by gonandkarl
Hi,
Do you think it is a good idea after epoxying the inside of the 2 hulls to fill them with foam before gluing on the decks so they are sealed completely and definitely unsinkable or would this add too much weight and it is overkill for such a small sailboat ?
Here a picture of one of the hulls out of the study plan:

Greetings from Karl who is still thinking quietly about building the PX14 or the MI12 . Quietly so my wife cannot hear it because she has the opinion a private shipyard is full with 3 built boats.

Re: PX14 Question

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 am
by pee wee
If it was me I'd leave them empty. The plans say it's easy to car-top the hulls at 45 pounds each, you'd increase that quite a bit with foam, and with extra weight the small boat will not be as responsive to sail . . seems like keep it as light as you can is the way to go.

Another consideration is that the lighter the hulls are, the easier it will be to hide the boat somewhere . . . maybe the wife won't notice!

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 am
by gonandkarl
Thank you Hank I appreciate your advise and if I build it I definitely will leave the hulls empty. I think I was really waiting for such an answer because I doubted my foam idea right from the start.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 pm
by Bogieman
Hi Karl! So you’re at it again 🤣 Good luck with the new build