Vacuum Bagging

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Vacuum Bagging

Post by fallguy1000 »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm Why are you using peel ply on the mold surface? When I was making bigger panels than yours I would want one smooth exterior surface so I kept it against the glossy mold surface.
I tried a few panels with no peelply down and I experienced resin following the fiberglass more than I liked. The triax is 0 strand away from the core; or down. And I got a lot of deep grooves and shine.

Peelply resulted in a more uniform surface.

Because I was unhappy with quality and tired of all the rebate and relief prep; I also modified the outside to always be up. So the mould surface became the inside of the part.

Definitely could be done the way you suggest. Especially if you can get a shiny surface without grooving or air.

If I had to guess; one of my issues is running the pressure up too high, but everytime I back it off, I get air pockets on the mould side.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 pm
Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm Why are you using peel ply on the mold surface? When I was making bigger panels than yours I would want one smooth exterior surface so I kept it against the glossy mold surface.
I tried a few panels with no peelply down and I experienced resin following the fiberglass more than I liked. The triax is 0 strand away from the core; or down. And I got a lot of deep grooves and shine.

Because I was unhappy with quality and tired of all the rebate and relief prep; I also modified the outside to always be up. So the mould surface became the inside of the part.

Definitely could be done the way you suggest. Especially if you can get a shiny surface without grooving or air.

If I had to guess; one of my issues is running the pressure up too high, but everytime I back it off, I get air pockets on the mould side.
No personal experience here but I think if you wanted the side against the mold to come out finish quality you could put a layer of thin cloth down first, then your heavier structural layers.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 pm

No personal experience here but I think if you wanted the side against the mold to come out finish quality you could put a layer of thin cloth down first, then your heavier structural layers.
Yes. 100% true.

And I did this with a veil cloth that I paid $450 for, but I was not a fan of the strength of it as it would come apart a bit under vigorous rolling. And it was about ? 1oz cloth, so 2 with resin. Although, thanks for the reminder, I could probably use it on a few things I am doing now.

I think a light woven would have been better.

If anyone wants a roll of veil, let me know.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Thanks for the info, FG, on wet versus infusion. I knew I was missing something :doh:
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain