new build GT Cruiser 23

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: new build GT Cruiser 23

Post by LaChefels »

I am grateful for the village.
Tomorrow we will reduce the overlap and hang the bow transom from the hull panels.
I was never able to install the bow transom before any glueing. I'm still working on the bow transom. I was under the impression that it was ok to glue in the stern transom. Perhaps I was wrong.
You all have given me hope that I am not in tooo far over my little grey head.
Thank you, thank you.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:07 pm I don't plan on going anywhere but I know too many cooks can spoil the soup too :wink: Not having this boat plans nor having built one like it I am not sure how much I can offer. With JM's wisdom and you speaking with her on phone I think things will all work out. I know we all want every build to be a success and try to make it so.
I've seen Naylene cookin with Guy Fieri, so she's the chef here. I awful badly wanted to try the quail at the diner she ran, but it is 3 hours of extra driving, so we might not make it there. Sorry if I am giving away the fame Naylene.

Fuzz said things perfectly at the end of his post. All of us have had our moments of frustration and we all like to help each other succeed.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

LaChefels wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:17 pm I am grateful for the village.
Tomorrow we will reduce the overlap and hang the bow transom from the hull panels.
I was never able to install the bow transom before any glueing. I'm still working on the bow transom. I was under the impression that it was ok to glue in the stern transom. Perhaps I was wrong.
You all have given me hope that I am not in tooo far over my little grey head.
Thank you, thank you.
You can leave the overlap temporarily. Just make sure things are loose enough. Cut nothing at first.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Please I am not trying to be "that guy" here.
This is a perfect example of where posting pictures and asking questions more often might save builders a lot of heart burn. I know it takes time to take pictures and post but if only one out of ten posts show a problem I am pretty sure the builder will be ahead. I have learned a lot of this by making mistakes, some of them have been really expensive.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:10 pm Please I am not trying to be "that guy" here.
This is a perfect example of where posting pictures and asking questions more often might save builders a lot of heart burn. I know it takes time to take pictures and post but if only one out of ten posts show a problem I am pretty sure the builder will be ahead. I have learned a lot of this by making mistakes, some of them have been really expensive.
Yeah, lotsa pictures can really help for sure.

Contributors have a better chance to offer solid feedback.

Like it or not; you are a wise owl about boats man.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

From the picture, it looks like you can line up the bow transom with the sides and later, you will trim the edge of the bottom that sticks out .
Don't be shy about trimming that transom to fit in between and as Fallguy says, try to avoid the little wooden blocks. Stitch where possible, use something to support the transom while the resin cures.
As always, when you line up those parts, look for fairness first. Get something to support the weight of the transom. You will probably use straps but don't get them too tight. Do not create a flat spot in the sides.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LaChefels »

The bow is finally hanging and setting in. We went with Fallguys advice and added stitches to the bow transom and hull panels.

The question now…
Where does the bottom of the hull
Panel need to be in relation to the outside edge of the bow transom?

See picture attached
Attachments
3C1EE01D-9314-45BE-8B8B-A8664EE0EE63.jpeg

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It should be closer. I like the size of the gap where the wedges are.
The transom goes between the hull panels but if not, it does not matter much.

If you trim the sides, you will be able to use stitches there too.

It begins to look good, you are close.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ideally, the bow transom hangs directly under the hull panels, but it is not vital.

Next thing is to stitch the rest of it same way. Make all the holes where they 'should' be. All your dimensions are pretty good.

If you have trouble, add holes and zips and use them a bit to help each other. Two inches apart if needed. Use a plier to pull them. I like a needle nose and sometimes even turn the free end around the pliers for more torque. You may break a couple; that's okay.

you may need to lift the transom panel up with something like a floor jack to tighten them, but get everything zipped first and then see how it looks

A wider gap at the bottom side panels is likely. Don't worry. Get it as good as you can and take a picture for us.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

ps...I think you are in better shape than you realize. Might need Dad's help to pull the zips tight.