Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Worked the roundover on all the edges this afternoon. Checked it with a clipping of my rub rail. Looks like my math worked out.

Got everything cleaned up and had to step back for a minute to admire my work so far. Been 1 year and 2 months. It's starting to hit me that I've built an actual boat...and the darn thing might actually work!

Dunno if I'm glassing tonight, but I think I'll be able to tomorrow. I'll probably take tonight to make sure everything is in order.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good Cameron nice big decks front and rear to cast from. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Look’s great Cameron. The finish line is getting closer - what’s that due date again? I know you haven’t thought about it in a while, so I thought I would remind you. 😁

The rub rail looks perfect. I’m afraid that I didn’t get mine nearly as close. That’s the 1-1/16” taco, right? Do you mind giving me the dimension from of the inside face, not including the “lip”. You know - the most critical dimension that Taco doesn’t provide on their drawing. 😡

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:43 pm Look’s great Cameron. The finish line is getting closer - what’s that due date again? I know you haven’t thought about it in a while, so I thought I would remind you. 😁

The rub rail looks perfect. I’m afraid that I didn’t get mine nearly as close. That’s the 1-1/16” taco, right? Do you mind giving me the dimension from of the inside face, not including the “lip”. You know - the most critical dimension that Taco doesn’t provide on their drawing. 😡
Yeah it's the Taco 1-1/16 x 11/16. The thickness of that bottom lip is about 3/32". It's also not as square as the cartoon makes it out to be. It's only actually 1-1/16" tall about in line with that inner face of the tube cutout. It's about 1" tall at the interface. All that to say what you're looking for is about 29/32" or 31/32" if you assume the nominal height square to the back face.

And yeah...that's why I bought my kit before I glued the rubrails on because there were no good dimensions available. If I hadn't done that I probably wouldn't have been close.

Due date is Jan 18! I'm in good shape inside. Crib and dresser are built(Assembled... :lol: ). No painting needed. Just need to hang some decorations and probably put together a stroller and highchair. I also have the week between Christmas and New Years as a work holiday and I usually take another week on top of that. I'm in decent shape as long as the baby doesn't come early! It may not be completely rigged and "hitch up and go" ready, but I'm gaining confidence that the boat itself could be done in time.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Got 'er glassed this afternoon!

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

looks good!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Sweet glass job! That must be a nice feeling to have that behind you, all go smooth and easy?

A little less than 2 months before the big day with a few weeks off? No problem, esp at your current rate of production! Excited to see it painted/assembled, as I'm sure you are. My eyes are glued, build on!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah it went really smoothly. Easiest glass job so far for me. I dunno if it's just my experience growing or just a big flat area, but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to knock it out.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I don't have a lot to show this check in, but I've been hard at it. After fairing the seams in the deck, I got everything sanded then went to work with locating holes for all the gadgets and gizmos in the deck. Poling platform, helm seat/leaning post, fore deck seat mount, push pole holders, and trolling motor mount. Couple things already had holes, so I just cleaned them out. I glassed the hatches also.

The biggest effort was cleaning up and fairing the transition from the hull and frames to the sole. I had previously filleted it, but it needed a lot of help. Its not perfect, but passable I think. We'll see once she gets a coat of paint.

Got the hinge locations recessed and I cut out holes in the hatches for the latches. I wanted to recess those a bit, but decided against it after realizing the easiest thing to do that with required buying yet another hole saw to make one jig...it'll be fine...

Finished up that rubrail transition at the transom. Not the prettiest, but passable I think.

Did one last coat of epoxy over everything and I'll be starting primer tomorrow!

Photo dump from the last 2 weeks...honestly all but 2 are from today. Guess I've been more focused on work than documenting progress!