Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

In other news...

Because I'm bolting on a PT35 Tilt n Trim bracket, I designed a mounting plate for the transom bolts in the motor well. All the cool boats have them!

Btw the same font I'm going to also use to make some vinyl decals to go on the side.

My uncle has a 3 axis CNC in his garage and will be machining it for me. He finished the path planning and sent me a photo of it. Should be making a wooden trial piece this weekend before trying to cut the aluminum.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cameron just double the piece with a piece of 3/4" you are over thinking this. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Progress is slow, but coming along. Just detailing the aft locker area. Getting wiring/plumbing situated.

Laying out hoses for the baitwell tank.

Made a mount for my Power Pole Anchor pump.

Working the wiring for the pump. It's a polairty switching motor so you need a 2 relay setup that flips power and ground. Power Pole has one for about 130 bucks...or 2 relays for 10 bucks a piece and some wiring and you have the same thing.

The PT35 Tilt N Trim bracket does the same thing, so I'm using it for guidance as well.

My uncle ran my transom bracket on a piece of wood this weekend. I think it looks good! Now for an aluminum one.

And how I left it tonight. Got some extra colors of wiring coming in this week to make my pump wiring a little more clear. Should be in soon. I'll wrap that up, tie everything up, and then figure out where to put lighting.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

He ended up making the aluminum one overnight as well. :D

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:00 am He ended up making the aluminum one overnight as well. :D

That is flipping SLICK!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 pm
Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 pm And it could very well be that the plywood alone can handle that span and I'm making something out of nothing...
That is what I was hanging my hat on, but with the way the gutter pieces are simply butt bonded together, any flexing will result in cracks over time. I have to limit the amount the deck flexes, that much is true. Adding support helps that. Better to add a little more now than wish I had later.
If there's still time to weigh in, I like the vertical post idea if it's not going to be too much of a storage nuisance and the floor under that spot is supported. Otherwise, I think I like the transom-to-frame support since both ends will be fully supported and the connection is simpler than the diagonal.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:00 am He ended up making the aluminum one overnight as well. :D

That is awesome! these are the details that make boat building fun!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I just keep thinking "man that is a lot of stuff packed in a 14 foot boat"
That is going to be one nice boat :wink:

cape man

Post by cape man »

I want an uncle like that!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman